How can I allow non-users to create issues via email and receive notifications?

sjenkinsdc October 3, 2012

I am trying to find a way to allow non jira users to create tickets via email. I've read quite a few knowledge base and confluence entries on this, but the information is limited when it comes to OnDemand.

What I'd like to do is this:

- Create a user in JIRA for a client, and then remove them from the JIRA application

- That user can email our jira@[instancename].atlassian.net email address to create tickets

- That user gets notifiied when that ticket is updated via the notification scheme

These users never need to log in to JIRA - they just need to be able to create tickets and receive email notificaiton when the ticket is updated.

Is this possible?

-sj

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
sjenkinsdc October 9, 2012

Here's what I was able to do:

- Create a user and add them to the base 'user' group

- remove them from access to the 'JIRA' application but keep them in the JIRA 'user' group

This user is now able to email jira with issues, and the tickets are created according to the mail handler rules. Whenever that ticket is updated, that user also receives notifications.

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2012

If you dont use OnDemand (ie have a full hosted instance) then you could use JEMH to satsify those requirements, it is not possible on OnDemand as JEMH/any other plugin cannot be installed due to restrictions of OnDemand.

JEMH Tutorials are available if you're interested is seeing how this can be done see the Enable non JIRA Account holders to receive issue updates tutorial.

sjenkinsdc October 4, 2012

Yeah, there is plenty of info on JEMH out there for non OnDemand users, but since we are OnDemand, that doesn't help.

Thanks!

0 votes
LucasA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2012

Hi,

Regarding to your questions:

- Create a user in JIRA for a client, and then remove them from the JIRA application
- That user can email our jira@[instancename].atlassian.net email address to create tickets
- That user gets notifiied when that ticket is updated via the notification scheme

This is not possible, you can't remove an user which have issues associated to him. Thus, the notification scheme rely on the "Browse Project" permission role, so if the user hasn't such permission, they will not be notified about it. And, if you set this permission to the new users, they will be able to access your JIRA instance and counts against your license. You'll also need to move all his issues to another "dummy" user before removing it.

Best regards,
Lucas Timm

Suggest an answer