Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How can I aggregate specific user tasks on a new board with a low-level workflow?

I would like to build a user-centric board(view), that aggregates the tasks from several other projects and project types but also provides the user with a lower level or nested workflow that executes entirely within the current step/column of the parent/source project workflows. I understand that a board is just a view and that I can create a new board/view that displays issues from different projects/boards by using filters; however, my challenge is in decoupling from the parent workflows within the new child user-centric board. I would like to set up the user-centric board/view/project with a lower level/nested workflow that occurs within the current column of the parent boards. The idea here is to reflect the lower level steps and interactions that a user must execute to perform a project level task such as "develop" without the Issue moving on the parent boards.

1 answer

0 votes

Ok, this is not quite possible.  The bit that breaks it a bit is "the user-centric board/view/project with a lower level/nested workflow that occurs within the current column of the parent boards."

You can do that - you would create a workflow that moves through a set of status, and then map all of those status into the single column.

You will get the display you're looking for, but Jira has a long standing flaw in that you cannot move issues between status in the same column.  So it'll look right, but you won't be able to use it to move issues through their processes!

Interesting, I previously setup a Kanban board using two workflow status for the same column with different colour bars, eg. "dev-ip" is red and "dev-done" is black. This was done to support the kanban "pull" model (using colour to show multi-status with a single column) without the added clutter of having separate columns for each "..-done" state.

In this model, I found that a card cannot be dragged forward to the next column unless it is in the second "dev-done" state. Similarly, it cannot be dragged backward/upstream unless it is in the first "dev-ip" state. Indeed, changing the status from "dev-ip" to "dev-done cannot be done via drag and drop; however, it can be changed using the "state control" buttons at the top of the card edit screen.

Is this similar to what you are describing? 

That is partly what I'm describing, yes.

Imagine a workflow that includes your status (dev-ip, dev-done and I'll add dev-ready).  To get what you are talking about, you would have the workflow transitions set to do dev-ready -> dev-ip -> dev done.  Note that there is no transition here from dev-ready to dev-done.  That's why, in your case, you cannot go from dev-ready to dev-done.

Now, on to the board, if it is set up like this:

| Needs work | Done     |
| dev-ready | dev-done |
| dev-ip | |

Then, although the workflow allows you to go from dev-ready to dev-ip, and hence the state control buttons work, the board's flaw is that it does not.  The two status are in the same column, and it won't let you drag inside the columns

Thanks Nic, I think it still may work for me because I'm not overly concerned with not being able to drag-n-drop between the internal/lower level states mapped to a single column on a parent project board since these transitions will be performed on the lower level child project board. If the need arises and I need to move through the states mapped to the single column on a parent board, I could just add a transition from the first internal state to the last internal state mapped to the column. This would still require using the state buttons on the parent board but at least I could skip over the various other lower level/internal states between the first and last....which also has utility on the child board too.

Am I missing something?

I do not think you're missing anything.  If you don't need "drag and drop in the same column" and are happy with doing it from another board, or by using the main issue view, then I think what you're proposing works very well.

Thanks again Nic, I will set this up in my Sandbox and share my findings/experience. Cheers/

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you