How can I add more lines to the Sprint goal field in JIRA?

Deleted user August 29, 2018

We are working with share Sprint, each team has its own board and Sprint goal.

Currently the Sprint goal field is defined as a single row.
since we are working with share sprint we either need to define more than 1 row , or to have the ability to define a Sprint goal per board

2 answers

0 votes
jozef_ivanic September 28, 2022

an issue from 2018 and still not fixed?

it's obviously a bug - why for god sake do you provide multiline input for spring goals if you are not able to display it properly?!

Jens Christian Morten Laursen March 6, 2023

I agree.

We really want this and have wanted it for years.

Like Marcus Mosttler likes this
0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 29, 2018

A sprint goal per board does not make any sense.  You want a sprint goal per sprint.  Which means a single field.

Deleted user August 30, 2018

There are 5 teams each working on different domain of the product. we decided to work with a shared sprint so we can have a clear start-end date that all teams can be aligned with. Each team has its own Sprint goal. this is why I need a Sprint goal per board

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 30, 2018

If you need a clear alignment, you should have a clear single goal for the sprint too.  Not different ones.

You now have a place where five teams have up to five different goals to achieve with the same thing at the same time.  What happens when the goals are not identical?  People have the wrong priorities for others, and you end up with conflicts.  You either need your teams to work together for a single goal, or separate out and work towards their own goals without the potential to compromise others.

Anand Krishnaswamy May 21, 2021

Instead of telling us how to do our sprints and sprint goals, can you suggest if there is a solution or an alternate to have multiple lines within the sprint goal statement? Forget whether there is 1 team, or multiple, a single small statement for a sprint goal, or multiple clearly articulated pieces within the broader goal of the sprint. Why should it be a bother for the tool?

The sprint goal could be:
- Deliver X functionality:
  o so that Y can do this
  o so that Z can do that

Like # people like this
David Ufland January 30, 2023

I second Anand. We handle our sprint goal elsewhere. I want to be able to list release dates and code cutoff and other relevant dates for our devs on their main working screen. This prevents them from having to look elsewhere to get this information but with the current single line implementation of the sprint goals it's a very ugly format. JIRA simply supporting a multi-line sprint goal would allow us to use that field how we want to use it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 30, 2023

I agree that it would be a great thing to have, but only if it is per sprint, not per board.  Sprint goals often change with the sprint.

So yes, making it multi-line would be great.  There are some issues logged with Atlassian to do it - have a look through https://jira.atlassian.com/issues/?jql=text%20~%20%22sprint%20goal%22%20and%20text%20~%20multi and vote on the ones that are most relevant (I did ages ago, but there's a few more now)

Like Alan R likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events