How can I add information to a Component definition

Huw Lewis April 12, 2021

I want to add a Component Group and a file link to a component definition. Any ideas?

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2021

Hi @Huw Lewis 

I do not believe you can do that with out-of-the-box Jira Cloud.  There may be a marketplace add-on for purchase that can support that.

As a work-around, you could try entity properties at a project level, with name/value pairs based upon the Component.  These can be accessed with the REST API, automation for Jira, and marketplace add-ons.

However, if we pause implementation for a moment, what problem are you trying to solve by associating those attributes to the components?

Best regards,

Bill

Huw Lewis April 13, 2021

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply. At the moment I’m looking at a specific issue. I have graphic designers generating Icons, Avatars etc in Adobe Xs with their product being stored in the Xd Cloud. Since these graphic components are used in multiple screens I define them as components so I have a “used on” view. To compliment this I hoped to include a link to the stored location.

Later, I will have a similar task to do again with multilingual text components.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 13, 2021

Got it, and thanks for explaining!

With current built-in features, have you considered asking your site admin to add custom fields for this: e.g. Screen Assets.  You could then:

• set the field manually, as issues set their component (i.e. screen), or
  • use an automation for Jira (A4J) project rule to set the field when the component value changes, selecting the appropriate storage location/URL

For automation, you would need to maintain the rules as the components and URLs change, but it would save some effort.

Suggest an answer