How can I add custom columns inside JIRA issue List View programatically?

Jira List View Q1.png

I have to add a column in the Jira Issue List view programatically. Or I want to append data to the "Summary" column?.

1 answer

Hi Vishnu, 

did you try die Column Button in the right upper corner?

2016-04-12 11_30_38.png

There you can search for additional fields and add them to the view. 

You can even define new fields - please refer to this official documentation.

Hope this helps, 
Cheers, Mario 

Hi Mario,

Thanks for the reply.

I want to know, Is there a way to add this programatically using the JIRA Java APIs? 

Yes, you could, but DO NOT DO IT.  At best it's a waste of your coding time for almost zero benefit, at worst, it'll just annoy your users.

The columns you see are flexible and chosen by the user.  There are three places JIRA looks when choosing columns

1. If the user has viewed a saved filter which has had its layout defined, it will use that layout.   You will upset the owners and users of that filter if you add junk they don't want.
  2. The user's personal preferences on columns.  This is the one you absolutely should not touch - it's chosen by the users. It's a bit like breaking into someone's house and rearranging the furniture without their permission
  3. The system default.  You could touch this one safely, but there's no point - it's far easier to just get the admin to add it

Sorry, I didn't get that. But unfortunately I cannot give an answer on that. Maybe by doing a javascript post with a customfield_id.

Edit: Thanks Nic!

I read it as "I want to write code that will add columns to the settings", which is one of those actions that upsets users (the nice ones will simply delete it again, the grumpy ones like me will have a go at the admins for interfering with their stuff).

I like your answer because the columns should be left up to the users.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Sunday in Agility

You asked for it, so we delivered: images on issues have arrived

A picture tells a thousand words. And agility boards have just released their latest feature: cover images on issues – so now your board can tell a story at first glance. Upload attachmen...

793 views 3 11
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you