How can I add a filter to the menu system in the second column of a project?

Bryan_Schmiedeler July 15, 2019

This is a small thing, but I refuse to believe that this is not possible.

I want to create some Filters that will be useful for a certain Project. I know how to create a filter, but what I cannot figure out is how to add those filters as links in the Project itself (see below). I understand that I can add an item and that item can be any URL, but if I add the filter like that then the link will open in a new tab. I want it to work just like, say, "Components" do, i.e. I can select "Components" in the menu system in the second column and the filter will appear in the third column.

Strange, this should be so easy, I would think. 

If it is not inherent to the software I don't mind using an app from the marketplace.

Bryan

c2.png

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Michael Kuhl {Appfire}
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 15, 2019

Hi Bryan - Check out "The Extension Wizard for Jira Cloud".  It gives you quite a few options for customizing the UI.

For some reason the editor is not letting me insert URLs, but if you search for that app in the Atlassian Marketplace it should come right up.

Michael, 

I was very excited to see this. 

Installed the trial version.

I went and tried to add a link, and I got the following error. 

c1.png

Bryan

Michael Kuhl {Appfire}
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 15, 2019

Bryan - I'm sorry you're seeing this error.  Your best next step would be to contact Appfire support via the link in the app panel in Jira (again I seem to be unable to insert URLs into answers at the moment).

I will do so. 

Thank you.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 15, 2019

This area is not filters, it is a set of links to various parts of the project.  There's no way to add filters to it, as it's not for filters - they go under issues and filters in that list (and aren't customisable there either)

If you find or write apps, you'll find many add themselves into this area when they are adding functionality at a project level.

Michael Kuhl {Appfire}
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 15, 2019

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- - I was thinking the web panels option may get @Bryan_Schmiedeler closer to what he wanted.  Agreed it's probably not going to get it exactly.  Like you said, you would need to write your own cloud app to get a completely custom project panel.

I am totally confused then. So I have a project, and I have a bunch of issues in my project, they can be epics, stories, tasks, subtasks, bugs and so on, 

I create a board and create my columns and swimlanns and so on. 

Then I would like to be able to create some different views of my issues in this project. I am using labels, so I would like to create a view [ when I say view I mean filter] to see issues by label. 

I can go into Issues and Filters and create filters to my hearts content, and I can star them so I can see all that are important to me. 

Why in the world can I not have a place to go to see these filters, a place that is connected to the Project I am working on.

This is just baffling to me.

Michael Kuhl {Appfire}
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 15, 2019

The place Jira explicitly provides for what you are describing are Dashboards.  In particular the filter results gadget on the dashboard will be a good place to start.  To put it in the project panel is not supported out of the box.  Thus the add-on discussion.

You can learn about dashboards here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/configuring-custom-dashboards-868983043.html
Michael Kuhl {Appfire}
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 15, 2019

The place Jira explicitly provides for displaying different views of filters is in dashboards.  In particular the "Filter Results" dashboard widget is a good place to start.  You can customize dashboards very extensively.  You cannot easily customize project panels though.  Thus the add-on discussion.  If the dashboard route works for you then you add a link to it from the project side-panel.  Be sure to share the dashboard so the link works for everyone.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 17, 2019

Yes, that was what I was thinking too - if you can scribble up a panel to contain the filters, that could get close, but I can't see a way to get it inserted into the list of panels.  Best I could do was a link like my-additional-filters  on the list.

Suggest an answer