How best to organize boards with multiple projects in the new JIRA experience?

Robert Bono September 21, 2017

Our team handles a large volume of small projects running in parallel. We have, until now, used a single JIRA board with a filter query that includes all of these different projects to organize our work.

In the New JIRA experience, which we tried out last week, boards now belong to a single project. It is very hard to find a board unless you know which project the board belongs to and go into it through there. Additionally, when configuring boards, there is a new field called "Location" which requires that you place a board within either a project or a user profile.

What should be best practice moving forward for boards and projects? We cannot conceivably maintain 20 different boards; it would be ridiculous to try and work through those at a daily standup meeting. Can someone please shine some light on what Atlassian's goal with this change was, and what should be done with people like us who share multiple projects on a single board?

1 answer

0 votes
Troy Spetz September 24, 2018

I don't work for Atlassian so I cannot 'shine some light' on their product strategy.

I can say that using JIRA 7.12 server version, it is still possible to do what you described as no longer working in the 'new JIRA experience': Create a single Board containing issues from multiple projects, using a JQL filter containing multiple projects.

Suggest an answer