How are Story Points tracked per user throughout a sprint?

Sebastien Rolland
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 23, 2018

Hi, we're tracking Story Points per sprint and we're wondering how Jira tracks or compiles story points per user. We don't track time against tickets.

We want to set up our developers for success by making sure their work on a ticket is represented in terms of Story Points per user, given that the ticket will be assigned to others for review and QA.

Are the points attributed to whomever has the ticket assigned to them when the ticket is marked into done? Whoever had the ticket assigned to them during the sprint?  Any insight would be appreciated.

Best,
Seb Rolland

1 answer

0 votes
Randy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2018

Why?

If you're team is collaborating and tickets get assigned around or swarmed on (sometimes outside of jira) your data isnt going to be accurate with reality if there was a way to attribute it anyways.

Sebastien Rolland
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 23, 2018

Hi Randy, I ask because if it is being tracked somehow, I want to know about it and how it's done.

I don't particularly care myself, since I manage my team I know what work they put in. There are others in my company that will only be looking at Jira boards and reports to track how everyone is doing and I want to make sure my team use Jira in a way that shows that accurately.

In other words, I want to understand how this aspect of Jira works so I don't get any nasty surprises.

Do you know how Story Points on a ticket get attributed to a user, or if that happens at all?

Randy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2018

If you're looking for time worked by individuals, Tempo would probably be your best bet.  Track in hours instead of story points.

Suggest an answer