How are Jira 7.1 gadgets accessing the Jira instance?

Guido Wischrop April 21, 2016

This article in the knowledga base states:

When accessing the Dashboard, JIRA gadgets use themselves as proxy, with the fully resolvable host name - so the JIRA instance needs to be able to access itself.

So what does this mean? The gadget (running as Java servlet on the JIRA Tomcat application server) opens a http(s ???) connection to the baseurl? If yes, are all cookies from the original request (from the client browser) forwarded?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 21, 2016

Yes, you've understood it correctly.  It opens a connection to itself and the gadgets are given the same session information (i.e. your login) as the browser gives to the main connection

Guido Wischrop April 21, 2016

So the connection is created from the JIRA server to the baseurl and not from the client (browser) to the baseurl?

I see 2 problems here:

1) In our scenario the baseurl points to a reverse proxy which handles corporate authentication. We are not using JIRA authentication. If a gadget want's to connect to the baseurl, then all cookies must be sent - otherwise it will face a login dialog, which it can't handle.

2) We have two domains for one Jira. I know that this is not recommended but it is like it is. How does the gadget get the baseurl? Is the baseurl build on the client?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 21, 2016

It's quite common to go through a reverse proxy like that - I've not run into problems with authentication of gadgets, but I don't know how complex the authentication stuff might get. 

The gadgets will take the base url from the application configuration - it's a single field in the general configuration. Your second domain won't work properly.

Suggest an answer