How To Validate Against Value of a Field Changed on the Transition Screen

Stefan Johansson May 6, 2014

I'm using Script Runner on Jira 6.17 to write a Validator script.

Validation works fine, except when the field I validate against has been changed on the transition screen.Then I still get the old value of the field.

I use issueManager.getIssueObject(issue.id).getCustomFieldValue("Custom field name") to get the field i want to validate, but this field has not been updated with the users change on the transition screen. Im guessing that it is because the value is updated during the post function phase of the transition.

How do I get the value of the field that is on the transition screen?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2014

I'm not sure Benji's answer is right.

Your problem is that you're reloading the issue from the db rather than just using the issue object provided to you in the binding.

issue.getCustomFieldValue(CustomField)

should work fine. No IssueManager.

Stefan Johansson May 7, 2014

You are right, I tried your solution and now it works well.

Thanks for the help Jamie!

0 votes
BenjiI
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2014

Hi Stefan,

Unfortunately this is not possible with validators. A validator is intended to check the values before a transition is executed (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Workflow).

You have 2 options:

1) Write a post function that does the validation at the end of the transition

2) Add a validator at the begining of the next transition that validates the values entered in the previous transition

Stefan Johansson May 7, 2014

Thanks for your quick reply Benji.

As Jamie suggested it works now when I just access the issue object.

Arun_Thundyill_Saseendran
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 4, 2014

Your statements are contradictory. If what you have mentioned "A validator is intended to check the values before a transition is executed ", is true, then how is the validator given an option to perform an Field Modified function to check whether a field is modified in the transition screen or not??

Stefan Johansson December 4, 2014

In my validator script i have access to both what is the current state with values that might have been modified in the transition screen (that is the issue object named issue available in the script), and how the issue actually looks like in the database, eg with no modifications made. So the "issue" object contains the information the issue contains in the transition that have not yet been saved. And the issue object i get from "issueManager.getIssueObject(issue.id)" is the database version of the issue. That is how it really is. In the validator i just compare the values contained in the customfields, and if they differ a modification has been made on the transition screen. Hope this answer your question.

Suggest an answer