It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How To Automate Transition of Ticket Status Edited

Hello,

I am looking into creating an automation with Github where an issue will be transitioned automatically based on certain actions. For example I am looking to move an issue from To Do -> In Progress when a branch is created on Github with the issue key signature in the branch name. I created a webhook based automation and have access to the Github data such as the branch name when I push a branch. The problem is I am having an issue trying to associate the branch name with the ticket key. For example a branch name of ABC-123-do-something should associate with the task / story etc... of ABC-123. I have access to the `webhookData` but don't know how it's possible to find the corresponding ticket once I parse out the branch name. I am use Jira Next Gen. Thanks in advance.

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer Atlassian Team Nov 07, 2019

Hi Jarret,

I understand that you are using a Jira Cloud next-gen project and you're looking to have issues automatically transition when certain actions are taken in github that reference that Jira issue key.

This functionality does not exist in the next-gen projects today.  There is a feature request for this over in JSWCLOUD-17721 - Ability to create triggers on Next-Gen projects. I would recommend watching and voting on this issue to help our development team prioritize new features for next-gen projects.

This is something that non-nextgen projects can do today though.  The ability to customize workflow triggers are what would permit this in a classic project type.  We document this feature in Configuring workflow triggers.  Even that document warns that

Currently, you can't configure workflow triggers for next-gen projects. The instructions on this page apply to classic projects only.

I also tried to see if perhaps a 3rd party plugin could help here, such as automation for Jira. However it looks like that automation plugin is also restricted by the drastic differences between classic and next-gen type projects here.  So I don't have a clear solution for you here when working in a next-gen project. 

Perhaps you could work past this issue by migrating this project from next-gen to a classic project.  I hope this helps.

Andy

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

260 views 1 2
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you