How I can used the scrumban in JIRA?

Amit Arora January 3, 2019

Can anyone tell me how i can create project with Scrumban in JIRA? Please let me know the steps

2 answers

1 vote
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2019

Hi Amit

It really depends on what you want out of it. Scrumban is a rather vague name, because you're trying to use the best of both Scrum and Kanban.

Assuming that you're wanting a "sprint" type implementation i.e. a regular 2 week (or 3 week) iteration, you would need to set up a Scrum project. But then, what aspects of Kanban are you hoping to use?

Jira doesn't explicitly have a scrumban project - as Ollie has said, there are only Scrum projects and Kanban projects.

Charles Myers January 6, 2020

I'm going to respectfully disagree with Warren.  A project is just a set of issues.  The board is Scrum or Kanban.  Ober the past year, we successfully used JIRA for Scrumban by planning items (and team commitments) in Sprints, releasing in sprints, but then running the daily standup and team view in a Kanban board.  It ended up that the PMs used the Scrum board for organizing backlog, the full team used the scrum board for sprint planning and commitment, but then the kanban was used for the daily standup. 

It certainly was not perfect, but it worked.  Let me know if you'd like to know more.  ANd this may be enough to finally get me to blog about this. 

Like # people like this
Kim St. Dennis January 29, 2020

I'd be curious to see a blog post on this. We run into the same issue constantly and shifting to a model of Scrum for projects and kanban for the 50% of interrupt work seems like a good way to go. 

Like # people like this
Lucy May 29, 2020

Hi Charles,

I would be really interested to know more detail on how you set this up. We have been trying to run Scrum, but found it difficult with trying to manage the project and maintenance work together.

Like # people like this
Oriol Cantarell Sala June 19, 2020

Hi Charles,

I'm interested in knowing how you released to implement Scrumban in Jira, can you tell us?

I've always worked with Scrum ir Kanban and this year at AGILE methodology subject they told about Scrumban and the others AGILE methodology but theorically and with cartoon boards but not in a AGILE management software like Jira.

Thanx.

Niklas Westerholm July 30, 2020

I am also very interested in understanding how to design my Jira to simplify task management with Scrumban for my cross functional devops team as we cover all aspects of the SDLC

I am not sure how to best manage "immediate operational demands" that need our attention in Jira, pausing planned development. Constantly changing the Jira scrum sprint scope seems like over managing tasks.

Would the Kanplan option be better suited for scrumban ambitions? I am looking for

- simplied management of unplanned tasks that need to be adressed in the "sprint"

- setting a WIP limit on parts of the flow

Like # people like this
Ryan N September 18, 2020

The question I have is how often do you encounter "immediate operational demands"?

For a given Sprint, you should consider reserving capacity of the team to address "immediate operational demands" (IODs).  For example if the team has a velocity of 50 points, and IOD"s typically take up 20 points, then the team should plan 30 points for new work and 20 for IODs.

During Sprint execution if the IODs do not materialize, then the team can always add new product backlog items within the Sprint.

Like Ferdinand Chew likes this
loren.franco March 22, 2021

I am also curious if Jira Atlassian can support Kanban Board with Story Point reports. It would be great to have this feature. Kanban is being used at the same time, predicting the work on the succeeding weeks through story points with the use of report options.

Jessica Silvani _Scrum Master_ June 8, 2021

@loren.franco that has been a request, since 2013, if I'm remembering the jira tickets, correctly. We've been upvoting it in Jira's development board for years. 

Edit: found it! https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-7265?error=login_required&error_description=Login+required&state=df64920a-19d9-457b-872a-ec78b07bac65

1 vote
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2019

Hi @Amit Arora,

Jira admins can create projects from any template.

You can create a Scrum board step by step by referring to the help documentation below.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/create-a-project-in-your-new-jira-experience-937886053.html

1.png2.png

Mark Crocker May 28, 2019

I'm running into a similar challenge and curious how you've managed it so far. 

The challenge I have is I am trying to formulate a plan of attack for IT not software development and we have currently a flux of projects tapping into the same resource pool. 

How do we break up that view with visibility across resources? The idea was to use a giant Kanban board with epics, but I can't cleanly work in Sprints. 

Any ideas?

Suggest an answer