How Do You Make Child Issues Appear as Individual Cards on Scrum Board?

Jarret Moses October 8, 2019

Hello,

Recently my team upgraded to the next gen version of Jira's Scrum boards. In the old version we would have Stories with Sub Tasks attached to them. The Sub Tasks themselves would be visible as separate cards within the Scrum board so they could be individually picked up and visually tracked throughout their development process. With this new board Stories now have `Child Issues` which seemed to be a 1:1 comparison with what a Sub Task used to be. The problem though is that Child Issues don't visually appear as their own cards on the Scrum board making it difficult to track which Child Issue's are being worked on and what stage they are in. Is there a way to do this? It's not uncommon for multiple developers to be working on the same story and thus would need to have the child issues as separate cards to keep in their swim lanes.

4 answers

8 votes
Aleksandr Zuevich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 9, 2019

Hi @Jarret Moses ,

Just select GROUP BY Subtask:

1.png

Jarret Moses October 10, 2019

@Aleksandr Zuevich 

Thanks for your reply! The issue I have with that is it globally changes the board for all users. Also it changes the swim lanes to be story based and thus my tickets could theoretically be scattered around the board. It would be nice to keep the swim lane context by user and still be able to see sub tasks within them to keep the organization by user. Is this possible?

Like # people like this
jerry.tindall July 22, 2022

Having the exact same problem / confusion as you.

Sorting by subtask creates a shitload more visual clutter and makes it even harder to see what is going on with the project at a glance.

Is there a way to add effectively an expand / collapse feature that when collapsed shows only the main story, but when expanded shows all subtasks or something? Basically I just want my subtasks to be easily trackable from the main board without the need to complete change the look that devs are used to.

Like # people like this
Andy Hornby January 20, 2023

+1

Like Ruslan Tsybulka likes this
kwj March 16, 2023

What is Atlassian reponse for this?  I have the same issue.  I want child tasks to appear on the board independently.  They show up individually on the releaess view.  If this is not fixed, then we will have to revert back to "linking" tasks together and bascially i have to create a placeholder "parent" task, and then create all the individual ones and link them to to parent.  

Like # people like this
3 votes
Joan Marc Carbo
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 18, 2023

Same issue here; really unmanageable.

3 votes
Aamir Faried August 22, 2023

same issue here

0 votes
Zee March 1, 2024

Click on the Type menu and select all the Issue Types (i.e. Story, Task etc.) that you are interested in displaying.

jira.png

Suggest an answer