How Do I Delete Test User Accounts?

Deleted user October 18, 2019

We have multiple companies (acquisitions) come together in our Atlassian eco-system, using Jira to authenticate all applications. We have connected multiple Active Directories and are syncing to the Jira user database. As part of the process to get here, we created multiple test user accounts for people that actually exist in other directories. Now, because those test accounts exist in the Jira user database, and they have the same name format (first.last) we cannot get their real accounts to sync. I would like to delete those test accounts but that doesn't seem to be an option from within Jira. I've googled the heck out of this but pretty much everyone says the same thing, "Don't delete the accounts, just remove from groups and all permissions, etc". That's all fine and good if you don't care if the account stays in your system, but in our case having those accounts in the system is preventing us from using real accounts, so we have to delete them. Can someone help me out and tell me how to do that please? Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Gustav L_Estrade
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 18, 2019

Hi @[deleted]

In my Jira instance, removing a user is rather simple. A difference might be that i am not connected to any AD. This is what is shown for me under Administration > User management > Users:

image.png

For the active directory syncs it is also important to look at the directory order, namely which order the system should search for users in the system. As default the Jira internal directory is on top, being the first directory to look for users in. It might be a solution to check the directory order to see it is configured correctly. Maybe it is possible to put the AD on top. This is of course dependent on how your instance is set up. 

Hope this helps!

Good luck with your Jira endeavors!

Deleted user October 18, 2019

Thanks for your reply Gustav. Unfortunately, I don't have the "Delete User" option for some reason. And in our current situation I cannot change the order of our directories, but the Jira internal directory is on top. The test users that I want to delete are syncing from different directories and it doesn't seem to matter because none of them give me the option to delete.

Gustav L_Estrade
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 20, 2019

I see! If the test users are syncing from a different directory, then there's where you have to go. My guess is that you have set up this directory with a "Read only" or "Read only with local groups" permission, hence not having the right to write to the directory through Jira. 

If the user is removed through the directory it will be removed in Jira aswell. 

Hope this helps!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events