Host Jira Cloud add-on using Apache or Nginx

Vi Phung June 28, 2018

I am currently using ngrok to host my Jira's add-on. Now i have a completed working add-on and would like to find a way to host it. Have anyone successfully run add-on using Apache or Ngnix? 

I am using Linux box. Thank you in advance!!

1 answer

0 votes
Christian Reichert (resolution)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 28, 2018

Hi!

What language is it written in, or is it totally static (i.e. just HTML, CSS, javaScript)?

Cheers,
Christian

Vi Phung June 28, 2018

hi Christian,

I followed closely this tutorial https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/project-activity/

It's mostly Javascript and some HTML, CSS like you mentioned. 

thank you!

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 28, 2018

Well ok - the tutorial is based on nodejs - which would mean you have some server side processing/dynamic stuff.

In the case of nodejs, I would recommend Heroku.

If it would have been totally static i.e. HTML, CSS and Javascript (client side, not server side!) then I would have suggested Amazon S3.

Cheers,
Christian

Rising Star
Rising Star
June 28, 2018

This is probably a good one to start if you look at Heroku: https://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/getting-started-with-nodejs#introduction

Rising Star
Rising Star
June 28, 2018

That is actually how we host all our connect based add-on's https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?hosting=cloud&query=resolution%20gmbh

Vi Phung June 28, 2018

did you write your own add-on and put them on marketplace?

why did you say you would have suggest Amazon S3 if my code was only for static? Amazon S3 won't be able to host if I do process dynamically? Thank you again for your helpful info.

Rising Star
Rising Star
June 29, 2018

Yes we do - we have a few of them.

Well S3 is basically the poor man's Webserver.  Cheap, highly reliably & great performance. Put some files (connect.json, html, css, client side scripts etc) on it, put them into a bucket & make them available with "public" access rights.

Anyone can now access them via the public bucket URL (which you can use in the connect.json as the baseURL). 

It's a pretty simple, virtually no cost Way to host a highly reliable static plugin. 

The keyword here is static - you cannot execute scripts within S3. It basically acts as dumb Webserver with no server-side scripting capability.

Once you need to run stuff server-side etc S3 is no longer a good option. And if it's nodejs based like your's seems to be - Heroku is a super simple, quite cost effective especially for small stuff and super reliable. Also well integrated into the whole NodeJS environment.

(There are hundreds more Ways to make & run your nodejs Application publicly at very different levels of complexity, involvement & cost)

And by the Way this is exactly what we did evaluating many different Ways to run our connect Apps.

We host static stuff on S3 & NodeJS based stuff we run on Heroku.

Cheers,
     Christian

Like Roma Bubyakin likes this

Suggest an answer