Hide users from reporters list when creating JIRA issue

We are trying to cleanup our user database by making the retired users unsearchable in the assignee field and reporters field. Since some of these users have created issues and dashboards and deleting them is not an option for us.

As previously read, we have already removed the necessary groups and roles the users belong to. However, upon testing, we saw that the issue can still be set to these users as the reporter (when Modify Reporter is on). Please let us know what other configuration needs to be done in order to completely hide these users. Thanks!

4 answers

0 votes
To be a reporter, the permission scheme must be granting them "issue create" somehow. Similarly, to appear on the assignee list, they have "can be assigned". Check your permission scheme carefully, you are missing something. Although... You say "necessary groups and roles". Necessary might not be good enough, you probably want to remove them from all. Everything. They should be in no groups or roles, completely.

Hi Nic,

My fault for the wrong choice of words. The user actually doesn't have any more roles nor in any groups but still appears in the reporters list when modifying a reporter field. The permission scheme was already checked and confirmed that the user doesn't belong to any of the roles or groups so we would to know what else did we miss. We are using JIRA 4.2.3.

Ok, so what exactly do you have in the permission scheme for "create issue"?

We have four customized roles under the create issue permission scheme and the user is not part of any of these roles now.

Project Role (Risk Management Department)
Project Role (General Manager )
Project Role (Division Head)
Project Role (Incident Reporters)

Any comment on this problem? Or is this a known bug in JIRA 4.2.1?

0 votes
Sorry, missed your response. The role settings are good, but can you now list who is in the roles in that project? Both users and groups?

Hi Nic,

We only assign user IDs to the roles. We don't assign groups under roles. Since this is individual information, we cannot share it outside of our institution. But I have checked it already and confirmed that the user is not under any of these roles anymore. Any other advice?

I guess this is not answerable? I will then revert to the atlassian support site. Thank you for your help.

Hi Alaine, did you ever find out the answer to this? We are having a similar problem where users are showing up when we modify reporter that do not have Create Issue permissions. 

Hi Sarah, the behavior is still the same even with the latest major version (we are using only 6.1.4 though) I am not sure if this was fixed in the latest minor version

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,958 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot