Hide unused add ons

dennish_dcsorg_com March 19, 2021

Looking at our issue screens every screen shows the various 3rd party add ons that we subscribe to. Some of the projects don't need to see various 3rd party options. Is there a way to hide add ons from various issue screens?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 19, 2021

No, because they might be used.

That's a short sighted approach. We have a quoting add on that we use in our sales project. I can guarantee that nobody who is working our dev projects will ever need to use the quoting add on. There should be an ability to hide any item when creating an issue screen.

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 19, 2021

So how is it "short sighted" to let people use functions they may need or benefit from?

I don't see how it's worth spending time coding for, and then having admins have to set up flags for "hide", when "if you don't need it, don't click it" covers the case.

Flexibility in configuration. Why do I need teams to see functionality they will never use. I'd rather use the screen real estate for things they use.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 19, 2021

Or you could let them see stuff they might want to use and not have to think about having to remove it because (you may well be guessing) they don't?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 19, 2021

Don't get me wrong, I don't think there's anything wrong with people, or maybe the project lead being able to say "I don't want to see this", but you've then got a mass of code to write to enable that, and on top of it you also need to think about "someone else in this project has used it, so I'm now missing information".  It certainly shouldn't be up to an admin to be worrying about it, because they would then need to be talking to every project or even user to establish what the flags should be set to.

It's a lot less work to simply say "if you don't use it, don't click on it"

Yes, but there is so much that is configurable, it's like stopping 10 ft before the finish line. I can guarantee 100% that my dev team will never need to do a quote and our sales people don't ever use the work timers. In the configuration screens I should be able to slide any thing over to hidden (with the exception of the required fields for the issue to work).

It's not available and with the backlog of things the Jira team needs to work on this will probably never be considered, but it would be a nice feature. Let us design our screens exactly how we want so they are the most efficient for the users.

Gandalf October 27, 2022

I'm confronted with the same need. I've different teams from different departments with different needs. Some addons are useful for specific teams and not for others! As we're using various addons, it clutters the view on projects where they're not needed. 

Not all teams/ team members have the same affinity with tools and features.

Being able to manage addons visibility by project would help to maintain teams focused on their tasks and would greatly simplify the overall layout.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 27, 2022

Yes, you could code for that, but it makes the admins jobs harder and your code will need to deal with "someone else has used this", "why does my thing look different to my colleague's" and "why am I missing information"

Gandalf October 27, 2022

There're many types of addons. Some are more invasive and some are more specialized than others.

Admins working with multiple teams have to try to provide the appropriated tools for each team without impacting other teams (different needs).

I understand there's a challenge for existing projects especially if the addons is already used for some time. But I assume if the addons is being used, you don't want to hide it unless you want to remove it. But this is a team's/admin's decision.

I don't think it's needed to deactivate an addon by project. Hiding the addon for a specific project would be enough and be very useful for starting teams or new projects within your organization in order to apply the KISS principle (Keep It Simple and Stupid).

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 27, 2022

Yep, there are many that don't inject things into the display because they don't need to, they're worked differently.

App by project is a non-starter though, or at least another devilishly complex layer of code.  What happens when a board includes issues from different projects?  How do you answer the question "why does this card work differently to that one?  Why is my team working differently on different cards?"

Wilfried Sibla January 23, 2024

I'm faced with the same issue, and it's seriously bothering me. Some teams are experimenting with new and different AddOns, regardless if on the same or other projects and/or project types.

On each and every issue I open, I have to scroll down to find and see the comments. This significantly reduces the efficiency of working with Jira. Even more for those who uses Jira as a more prominent tool than I do...

Why not providing there a switch like "hide permanently" and store this in kind of cookie or wherever personal settings are stored. Then, the corresponding switch of each and every AddOn section could evaluate that... should not require a redesign of jira :-)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 23, 2024

It's the same as the discussions we've already had above.

Before asking for vendors to build a huge pile of code to enable this, and train your admins to be able to handle all the options, and all the questions about "it works differently for me" and "I can't see something my colleague can", have a think about the real value of that over "if you don't want it, don't click it"

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events