Hide "Comment" field on transition screens

Is it possible to hide/remove the 'Comment' field from screens used in transitions? When I open the field configuration I cannot hide it, so I hope there is a method I overlooked.

Reason is that all information I want to capture is controlled via custom fields and I find the comment box to be distracting.

5 answers

1 accepted

This is a simple way to suppress the comment box on a transition screen.

Add the following code in the description for one field that appears on the screen

<script type="text/javascript">
if($('#issue-workflow-transition-submit').val() =='<My Transition Name>'){
$('div.comment-input').css('display', 'none');
}
</script>

NOTE: Replace <My Transition Name> with the name(s) of your transitions.

no work in jira 6.1.6 :(

Hi Cristian,

You will have to replace $ with AJS.$ according to this question.

I have updated my field configuration with this and it works again!

I just noticed that this will not work if the field is a multi line text field, while it worked for single line text field.

Is there any way to get this to work with jira 6.3.14? thanks!

Using Behaviours Plugin will hide all the Comment field in that project. And we cannot add comment in the view issue page now. Any suggestions?

Svante Gustafsson and Cristian. Thank you very much. Yes. its worked for me (v6.3.11#6341-sha1:83c4d29)

I am trying this script with no success, is this not supported in the Cloud version of JIRA?

Worked for me. Thanks. 

No. We have gone round and round with this one. The only thing we came up with was creating a custom comment field that we could secure via a plugin. This was a pain in the "you know what".

If you look in JAC you'll find https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-12244 from '07. You can watch this issue and vote on it to bring it more visibilty to development.

1 votes

Well, there is a workaround. Remove the following line from /atlassian-jira/secure/views/issue/commentassignissue.jsp

&lt;jsp:include page="/includes/panels/updateissue_comment.jsp" /&gt;

Remember, this is a global change and will affect all workflows in the system.

0 votes
Joe Pitt Community Champion Jul 24, 2012

Another way is to use the jira-suite-utilities plug-in to require the other fields during the transition. then they will have to fill them in and most folks will soon learn to not put that info in the comments. Kind of like using a sledgehammer to pound in a carpet tack, but it will work.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,798 views 11 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot