Hide issue type from Create option on project

Jason Adam February 4, 2020

We want to have two different issue types for a single workflow.  One that is manually created (CAs) and one that is created via Nagios (ARs).  I'd like to be able to hide ARs from user creation since we want to restrict those to being generated just from the REST interface.

I have put a validator on the Create transition so that it keeps users from creating the AR, that's easy.  But it still shows the AR type to create, just gives an error if you try to create one.

Just wanted to know if there is a way to create a permissions type scheme that says only jira-administrators can create that specific type (which is the user we use to create issues via REST right now).  Otherwise, that type is not even an option for creation.

I'd like to be able to do this without having to create a new project.

Thanks!

3 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Thorsten Letschert _Decadis AG_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 10, 2020

Hi @Jason Adam ,

if preventing the creation by a custom validator is no option for you (the restricted issue types are still shown), I'd suggest having a look at Script Runner and its Behaviours.

https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/recipes/behaviours/restricting-issue-types.html

Due to the variety of additional functions that might come in handy for you, this might be a better fit than a single app only for filtering.

Cheers
Thorsten

Jason Adam February 10, 2020

Mon dieu!  I never thought about using that, for some reason I just had it in my head Issue Type wouldn't be an available field.  We use ScriptRunner for a gazillion other things lol, silly of me not to consider it.

Thank you very much this did exactly the trick!

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tony Rossiter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2020

@Jason Adam 

Jira doesn't let you exclude/include specific Issue Types from the creation screen. If the issue type is in the Issue Type Scheme, it's in the dropdown.  

But, of course, there's an app for that:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211968/issue-type-filters-and-security?hosting=server&tab=overview

Ah that's what I'm looking for!  I'll have to see how much they care about filtering to warrant buying another plugin (we're on a budget).  But thanks!!

Like Tony Rossiter likes this
0 votes
Lenin Raj
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 4, 2020

I'm not sure that gives me what I was asking. I do have screen schemes setup for this project and tried setting the AR Screen Scheme actions to not have a create screen but that doesn't get me where I'm hoping (which may not even be possible).

So right now, the user chooses Anomaly project and hits the Create button.  A screen pops up, and on that screen under Issue Type you can select CA or AR.  I would like AR *not* to even be an option.  ARs are supposed to be created just through the REST interface.

But, we want ARs and CAs to all show up under the Anomaly project, and to follow the same workflow.

So ARs need to have the same fields and all that as CAs, I am just trying to make it so they aren't an option the user can Create.  Think something you want purely system generated, but still available as part of the normal workflow after the creation process.

Make sense?  Again, might not be possible, just curious if there is a way.

Dierson de Souza Cruz October 5, 2021

Hey, Good Afternoon!

Ihave the some problem, you were albe solve?

Suggest an answer