Hide done items older than 2 weeks - board view with custom filter

Jo-Lee Bertrand April 28, 2022

Hello, 

I am using a team-based project. On my board, I want to hide DONE items that are older than 2 weeks. What is the best way to write a custom filter for this? I am not sure where to begin...essentially DONE column is getting too cluttered.

1 answer

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2022

Hello @Jo-Lee Bertrand 

Welcome to the communit.

Is the board a Kanban board or a Scrum board?

For a Team Managed project Kanban board, the Done issues that have not been updated for 2 weeks will automatically be hidden. If the issue has been updated in the past two weeks it will be displayed.

If you want to additionally create a custom filter, click the ... button in the upper right corner of the board, and select Manage custom filters.

Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 10.14.08 PM.png

That will take you to a screen where you can create custom filters.

Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 10.16.12 PM.png

If you click on the ? on the right side of the "Filter query" field that will take you to a page that talks about the syntax for filter queries.

You could create a custom filter to hide Done issues that have been resolved a period of time ago with a filter like

resolutionDate < -2w

That will hide issues that have a Resolution Date that is before the date that is 2 weeks previous to the current date. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2022

In a Scrum board, the way to clean up your done column is to end the sprint.  You must not remove the issues from the board, that would break all your reporting.

But Trudy's custom filter will let you hide them for a cleaner display.

Jo-Lee Bertrand April 29, 2022

Thanks - it is not a scrum board so no sprints to complete. I did try the resolutionDate filter as above but it hides all issues.

Like Althia Cardoza likes this
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 29, 2022

I apologize. I did not provide a correct and complete filter. Please try the following.

(resolutionDate is not empty and resolutiondate < -2w) and status in (Done, <other statuses>)

I should've added to the filter to select only the issue where resolutionDate is set, and with statuses mapped to the column where your Done issues are listed.

Jira is not liking the < that comes before other statuses. Indicates it needs to be in quotes? Thank you for helping. I have not been able to find a good resource site for how to write these filters (I am a project director that dabbles in tech)

JIRA.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 2, 2022

"<other statuses>" was my indication that you need to fill in that space with other Status values that are mapped to your right-most column in your board. What is in those parentheses is a comma separated list of Status values. If any of those individual status values has a space in it, that one value would need to be in quotes. 

Example:

(Done, Abandoned, Cancelled, "Won't Fix")

Regarding a resource for writing filters, this documentation page provides links to other pages on Advance JQL including functions, operators, keywords, and more.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/use-advanced-search-with-jira-query-language-jql/

Jo-Lee Bertrand May 6, 2022

I have exactly this as the filter:

(resolutionDate is not empty and resolutiondate < -2w) and status in (Done)

but unfortunately it hides everything on the board. I've looked at the documentation and still can't sort how to make this work. 

Addison Sutphin November 9, 2022

@Jo-Lee BertrandThis setting exists in "Board Settings" for the kanban board that works for me. Hopefully this works for you.

Screenshot 2022-11-09 131618.png

Jo-Lee Bertrand November 22, 2022

It did! Sorry for late reply.

Suggest an answer