Hide certain project roles for certain projects

Alexander Garanin October 25, 2021

Hi all,

In our Jira (Server) instance we have different kinds of projects (from the workflow perspective) that use different sets of project roles. Unfortunately, since project roles are configured globally, it means that we have to set up and keep both sets of roles simultaneously. Which in turn leads to some project admins not using appropriate roles sometimes.

I was wondering, is it possible to disable certain roles for certain projects?

For example, disable (hide) "Scrum Master" role from "waterfall" projects, etc.

I am OK with developing a custom plugin for this, but as far as I can see, project role assignments are a part of  the "jira-project-config-plugin", so I am not sure how to approach this...

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 25, 2021

There's no way to remove the roles from the projects, the roles are globally available.  Standard advice is to keep the list of roles minimal and generic (doesn't matter too much if you call someone in a Scrum project or a Waterfall project a developer.  Most scrum-masters don't mind being called "team leads")

I am not sure if you could write an easy app that could remove them, I think you'd be into having to be clever with javascript that hides them from the screen after displaying the project admin schemes, and I don't think you'll be able to remove them from workflows, permissions, filter or dashboard ownerships and so-on at all - as a lot of those wouldn't have the context that a role is appropriate or not.

Alexander Garanin October 27, 2021

Thanks, that was my thinking as well, but I was hoping I am maybe missing something :)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 27, 2021

Always worth checking!  No, you're not missing anything!

0 votes
Chris Aldridge September 14, 2022

I came upon this thread as also wondered how to hide irrelevant roles in projects..

Thanks @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- for your comments in this and the other related threads. I totally get your point the way to go is to keep it as simple as possible.. But sadly many projects in the same instance means its hard to stay simple and tend to all their needs.

What comes to mind as a simple suggestion about this is to display on the side of the users and roles page, some form of list that would show only the roles and groups used in the related permissions scheme. (Or sort of like the list of projects sharing a scheme, it'd say: this project permissions contain: X roles Y groups and Z individuals and XYZ would popup a list)

Obviously even better would be as jira admins to be able to have a visibility option for the roles, just like when we filter them, and have a tickbox to be able to remove the irrelevant ones from the options from being visible to project admins. (wishful thinking perhaps)

I so often see project admins adding users to a bunch of irrelevant roles. 

Kind regards

Chris

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 14, 2022

This is going to sound snarky or rude, but it looks like you've given admin rights to people who don't really know what they are doing.

Your admins should not need any of the displays you suggest, they should just understand the permission and be working together to get people the rights they need.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events