Hello all, I resolved a Jira ticket but I am not able to Close it because the Reporter is Inactive

Sergio Brasca December 7, 2022

Hello all, I resolved a Jira ticket but I am not able to Close it because the Reporter is Inactive and it is no more present in our factory.

S. Maggio was the person who raised the ticket:

PSS Hardware - PSSHW-13915

QSFP56-DD 4xFR1/DR4+ SN version - excessive latency variation

Reporter: s.maggio (Inactive)

There is no the bottom "Close-Fix"  

[PSSHW-13915] QSFP56-DD 4xFR1/DR4+ SN version - excessive latency variation - Optics JIRA (nokia.com)

Probably I will be in the same situation for the tickets:

[PSSHW-13914] SW Rx LOS Assert time too long - Optics JIRA (nokia.com)

[PSSHW-13912] SW Tx Disable Assert/De-assert time out of spec - Optics JIRA (nokia.com)

Thank you very much for your support

Best Regards,

Sergio

Jira Ticket_Closing Problem.PNG

1 answer

2 votes
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 7, 2022

Hi @Sergio Brasca and welcome to the community,

Most likely you can't close the issue (I refer to what Jira means of "Closing an issue") because you don't have the Close issue permission. This has nothing to do with the reporter. So I would check:

• Project > Project Settings
  • Permissions
  • Check if you can find yourself on permissions:
    • Transition Issues
    • Close Issues

Another cause of the above is that there is a condition on your workflow which allow only reporters to transition the issues on certain Statuses. Check the workflow transitions and remove any such condition. Then transition the issue and insert the condition again. Or you can simply change the reporter.

Sergio Brasca December 7, 2022

Hi Alex,

thank you very much for your answer.

What do you mean for "you don't have the Close issue permission"?

I has been a Reporter for another ticket and I was able to close it.

My understanding is only the Reporter can close the ticket; please, can you suggest me how I can change the Reporter?

Thank you very much for your support

Sergio

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 7, 2022

To close an issue, you need to be able to "transition" it from one status to another.  This is done in the workflow (the workflow is a set of status with transitions between them).

Transitions are protected by "conditions" - rules that say who can or can not use a transition, or what data needs to be present to allow it (the most unusual one I've seen was actually "no-one can transition this type of issue on a Friday or Saturday", but most conditions we see are user based).  One condition that is always enforced is "the user must have the permission to transition issues in this project".

I suspect your transition may have a condition "must be the reporter of the issue" on it.  Or, as Alex says, it might have "must have the close issue permission".

Whatever it is, you are going to need to talk to your administrators, first to find out what the conditions on the transition are, and then about getting your profile or issue data amended so that you can use the transition.

If it is an "only reporter" condition, then yes, you will need to change the reporter of the issue.  If you can't do that now, then it is likely that you do not have the permission "change reporter", and again, to get that, you will need to ask your administrators to put you in a role or group that does have that permission.  (Although I would recommend not doing that, as the original reporter is useful information, even when they've left.  I'd strongly recommend changing the condition on the transition to something other than "only reporter")

Sergio Brasca December 12, 2022

Hi all, thanks to everybody for the answers: I had no the possibility to change the Transition and to close the issue; I found a "workaround" assigning the ticket to my colleague and he was able to close the ticket.

Probably, I had a bad Jira configuration (not all buttons present)

The issue is close

Sergio

Suggest an answer