Having trouble opening links containing attachment in Chrome

Kri January 11, 2021

Hello,

In the “links to” section of an issue, if the link attached is pointing to a file(eg. .zip).

In Chrome browser we observe that on directly clicking this link doesn’t open or download the content. While as opening this link in new tab does download the content.

The behavior in Internet Explorer and Mozilla is that on directly click the link downloads the content.

Does anyone have any suggestion of how to get the content downloaded on direct click in Chrome ?

2 answers

1 vote
Soumyadeep Mandal - SaM
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2021

Hi @Kri ,

Welcome to the community!

It looks like there was a problem in the browser or system setting which was doing that!

Just clear cache and reset the browser then try again!

Or you can try it by right-clicking on the link and save as!

Regards,

Soumyadeep

Kri January 12, 2021

Thanks a lot Soumyadeep..

We did try this option of clearing cache. But it din't help much. We learnt it is to do with Jira setting(MIME type to be more precise). Nt sure of how safe it is if we move from default settings. Exploring on this line too now.

(Ref for Jira settings: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver085/configuring-jira-application-options-981155685.html)  

Opening the link in new tab works. But unfortunately our customers wants this direct click option too.

Like Soumyadeep Mandal - SaM likes this
Soumyadeep Mandal - SaM
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 12, 2021

Hi @Kri ,

You can try to change the download setting in the browser and set the default download to a built-in browser downloader!

Regards,

Soumyadeep

Kri January 12, 2021

Hi Souwmyadeep,

Yes, I happen to check that. Please correct me if i am wrong. 

My assumption was, this was more of user setting. i.e., all users using jira might have to explicitly go and change this. So, I restrained from making this check. (Please let me know if my assumption is wrong.)

Since it is thousands of ppl currently using Jira, we wanted a centralized solution.

Soumyadeep Mandal - SaM
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 12, 2021

Hi @Kri ,

In that case, You can contact HERE

Regards,

Soumyadeep

Like Kri likes this
Kri January 13, 2021

Sure Soumyadeep. Thanks a lot for trying to help me.

0 votes
Tom H November 17, 2021

Was an Atlassian case opened for this issue?

I have seen the exact same issue using Chrome (Version 95.0.4638.54) when a link  to a file is placed into a Service Management Request Type form. Right-Click open in a new tab does not work. Right-click open in a new window only works if you refresh the window after it opens. The only method that is palatable is the right-click save-link-as to perform the download. Having a direct non-client setting option from Jira would be preferred.

Thanks!

Suggest an answer