Have issue assigned to one user, in review by another.

KeriB July 1, 2011

I have read some questions on the forum saying that you cannot have an issue assigned to two users at once, so I understand that, but my question is a little different. We want the issue to stay assigned to the developer, but we also want another developer to have it in order to review, but not actually have it assigned to him. Here's what I mean.

We have a development sub-task, where the developers do their work. After developer 1 hits 'Complete Work,' it goes to a 'Review' status, in which developer 2 reviews their work. At this point, we want the task to stay assigned to developer 1, but we also need developer 2 to know he has an issue to review, and we need to know who's reviewing what & who's developing what for tracking purposes. Is this possible at all, or will we have to assign it to developer 2 for review and then assign it back to developer 1?

Thanks for your help!
KeriB

2 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Penny Wyatt (On Leave to July 2021)
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 2, 2011

Another option is how the JIRA team handles testing - using a custom field. So the original developer remains the assignee, but the developer/QA who is testing the story is tracked using a separate field.

(All steps/screenshots are from JIRA 4.3.3)

* To create the field: Administration->Custom Fields->Add Custom Field->User Picker

* On the last page of the custom field creation process, add the field to the transition screen for the "Complete Work" transition.

* To ensure that the second person receives notifications on changes to the issue: Administration->Notification Schemes->Notifications->Add->(Select all the events)->User Custom Field Value->(Select your new custom field)

* Add the new field to your Issue Navigator: Issue Navigator->Tools->Configure Columns

* To see who's not doing their reviews: Search by 'Status="Review"' and look at the Reviewer column.

* To get pretty pie charts on your Dashboard of the people who are slacking off: After doing the search above, select Views->On Dashboard->Pie Chart->Edit->Statistic Type: Reviewer->Save.

* Profit.

Penny Wyatt (On Leave to July 2021)
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 2, 2011

(Sorry about the mixed content warnings, IE users :( )

KeriB July 4, 2011

Thank you so much, this looks like it will do exactly what we want. Thanks again!

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2011

If developer2 has a task to do on the issue, ie review it, then effectively it is assigned to him at that time, and probably best to change the assignee. You can do some clever things with a workflow function such that when dev2 hits "review completed" it is automatically re-assigned to dev1.

Alternatively, and I think this is a better approach, auto-create a sub-task that captures the need for dev2 to do the review. You can also block the parent moving state until the review is completed. This effectively shows that the *issue* is assigned to dev1 and the *review* is assigned to dev2.

Script runner plugin lets you do stuff like create a subtask on change of state, and conditions to prevent the parent moving.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events