Have any recommendations for parsing the {{changelog}} string in Automation rule?

Patrick Davis April 14, 2023

Hi there-

One of the automation rules I'm working on is triggered with any of 4 specific fields are changed on an issue. Upon that change, an email is fired and I would like to indicate which of those fields changed.

The current jankiness I'm using looks like this:

{{initiator.displayName}} just made a change to {{issue.key}}.

{{changelog}}

Click below to visit the issue in Jira
{{issue.url}}

I do get the changelog in the email -- it's formatted this way:

{Start date=[ChangeItemBean{fieldId='x', field='Start date', fieldType='null', from='2023-03-27', fromString='27/Mar/23', to='2023-02-01', toString='1/Feb/23'}]}

and I'm wondering if I could clean this up to be more readable by extracting the from and to properties along with the field name at the beginning. If there are multiple fields that can trigger this rule, is there a technique to dynamically know which field was changed or otherwise extract that from the changelog?

Have you successfully done this? Interested in learning how.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Vikrant Yadav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 15, 2023

Hi @Patrick Davis Try to get Old value and new value of Start Date using below smartvalue :-

Old Value -- {{changelog.duedate.from}}
New Value -- {{changelog.duedate.to}}

Replace duedate with Start date

Thanks,

Vikrant Yadav

Patrick Davis April 17, 2023

Thanks for the reply. This would work great if the rule knew which field was updated when interpreting the changelog values. In this case, there are 4 different fields that can trigger this rule when they are changed.

Like Maren Meyer likes this
Vikrant Yadav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 17, 2023

@Patrick Davis  For this you can try to add 4 rule for 4 different fields, or you can add 4 changelogs smart value for each field.  

kristine.daniels April 30, 2023

In this thread comments, there is an example of iterating through a webresponse in a branch.  You might be able to do something similar
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Management/how-to-iterate-and-compare-webresponse-values/qaq-p/1991231

Like Vikrant Yadav likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events