Has the Announcement Banner changed in JIRA?

Tayyab Bashir
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 21, 2017

Hi,

I use JIRA v7.2.6, and I added a simple JavaScript statement (for getting some console messages) in the annoucement banner as follows:
{code}
<script>

console.log("Hello Community")

</script>

{code}

First, I got an error message saying that the operation wasn't successfull.

And the whole thing went bezerrk. None of the pages in JIRA would load. 
I had to remove the banner by going in the database.

Has the functionality in banners changed in any way? 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 6, 2017

Hi Muhammad,

I copied and pasted the js into an announcement banner and didn't run into any issues in JIRA 7.2.6 or my Cloud instance.  Hopefully you've found a workaround or it started working as expected but if not, I would reproduce the issue and take a look at the atlassian-jira.log.  As a test I tried the following and it popped up a window that said hello world with an OK button:

<script>
    alert( 'Hello, world!' );
  </script>

If you're still experiencing this issue I would recommend putting in a Support Request to the JIRA team so they can take a look at your instance further as there may be additional customizations that could be causing this behavior.

Cheers,

Branden

Martin Runge January 22, 2018

Hi, same happend to me when using Chrome Browser for editing the announcement banner. Using Firefox with same script worked for me.

Cheers,

Martin

Suggest an answer