HTTP Status 500 - Exception occurred while rendering template 'templates/jira/appconsistency/jiralocked.vm'.

Yvan Zeebroek September 1, 2015

Our IT admins changed the domain and hostnames of our JIRA instance, so I changed the hostname of the JIRA computer accordingly. For an unknown reason this did not work out and it was decided to revert to the initial hostnames and so. Hence I put back the original domain and hostnames on the computer. Now JIRA does not start anymore with the error mentioned below when trying to access it via http://localhost:8080/jira:

HTTP Status 500 - Exception occurred while rendering template 'templates/jira/appconsistency/jiralocked.vm'.

type Exception report

message Exception occurred while rendering template 'templates/jira/appconsistency/jiralocked.vm'.

description The server encountered an internal error that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

javax.servlet.ServletException: Exception occurred while rendering template 'templates/jira/appconsistency/jiralocked.vm'.
	com.atlassian.jira.startup.JiraStartupChecklistFilter.doFilter(JiraStartupChecklistFilter.java:102)
	com.atlassian.jira.web.filters.MultipartBoundaryCheckFilter.doFilter(MultipartBoundaryCheckFilter.java:41)
	com.atlassian.jira.web.filters.steps.ChainedFilterStepRunner.doFilter(ChainedFilterStepRunner.java:87)
	com.atlassian.jira.web.filters.JiraFirstFilter.doFilter(JiraFirstFilter.java:61)

root cause

java.lang.NullPointerException
	org.apache.velocity.util.introspection.UberspectImpl.getMethod(UberspectImpl.java:183)
	com.atlassian.velocity.htmlsafe.introspection.AnnotationBoxingUberspect.getMethod(AnnotationBoxingUberspect.java:108)
	org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTMethod.execute(ASTMethod.java:192)
	org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTReference.execute(ASTReference.java:262)
	org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTReference.render(ASTReference.java:342)
	org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTBlock.render(ASTBlock.java:72)
	org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTIfStatement.render(ASTIfStatement.java:87)
	org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.SimpleNode.render(SimpleNode.java:336)
	org.apache.velocity.Template.merge(Template.java:328)
	org.apache.velocity.Template.merge(Template.java:235)
	org.apache.velocity.app.VelocityEngine.mergeTemplate(VelocityEngine.java:381)
	com.atlassian.jira.startup.JiraStartupChecklistFilter.doFilter(JiraStartupChecklistFilter.java:98)
	com.atlassian.jira.web.filters.MultipartBoundaryCheckFilter.doFilter(MultipartBoundaryCheckFilter.java:41)
	com.atlassian.jira.web.filters.steps.ChainedFilterStepRunner.doFilter(ChainedFilterStepRunner.java:87)
	com.atlassian.jira.web.filters.JiraFirstFilter.doFilter(JiraFirstFilter.java:61)

note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache Tomcat/7.0.55 logs.

Apache Tomcat/7.0.55

Do you have any idea what I did wrong?

Thanks!

Yvan

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2015

That error suggests that Tomcat is running, but you've relocated JIRA in such a way that it can't find the installation.

I think you need to go into the exact detail of what was changed when your admins changed the hostname, and what you did in JIRA to adapt to it.

Yvan Zeebroek September 2, 2015

Thank you for a swift reply. I think the only thing what could be still wrong is the base URL location of the JIRA instance - which is accessed through the admin panel. Is there another way to change the base URL- so that it at least looks at localhost port 8080

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 2, 2015

An incorrect base url will just warn you that it is incorrect in the browser. It is not the cause of this problem I'm afraid - you've changed a lot more than that, and it looks like your installation is completely broken.

Renuka Venkata Ramani Challa September 19, 2015

Yvan : Were you able to fix it? I face the same issue.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 19, 2015

The lack of response suggests that they fixed whatever they'd broken in Tomcat without our help.

0 votes
Pilar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 1, 2015

Try rebooting the server and restarting the application again. Run a ipconfig /dnsflush command on the client.

If all changes have been rolled back the reboot and restart should work.

For future my recommendation would be to test such critical changes first on a test instance.

Pilar

Yvan Zeebroek September 2, 2015

Thank you for this feedback. Unfortunatelly it did not solve my problem, but I will for sure take your recommendations into account.

Suggest an answer