Groovy script runner: Limiting access to scripting panel

Gianna Migliorisi September 8, 2014

Hi,

Is there any way to restrict access to the groovy script runner console to jira-system-administrators, rather than jira-administrators?  We have a lot of jira-administrators, because they need to do Project specific work, or look at user and group information, and we wouldn't necessarily want them to be able to access the scripting panel.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 8, 2014

Yeah. Nic is correct in that I looked at it. My justification for not doing it was broadly that, if you have an admin who wants to intentionally abuse that functionality, and you disable it from them, they could also equally abuse that privilege by using the workflow functions, eg the "scripted condition". I could prevent any non-system admin executing any code, but that would pretty much make the whole thing useless. So I don't want to hide the console and give people the false impression that non system admins can't run code.

I'm sure you will find a larger discussion on my issue tracker.

If you want to implement it you could just write some javascript that blocks it for non system admins.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 8, 2014

Maybe I will add some form of auditing, perhaps that would suffice.

1 vote
Gianna Migliorisi September 8, 2014

thanks very much for the help smile

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 8, 2014

Not really, no.  I think Jamie looked at this a while ago, but there wasn't a lot of demand.

I have to say that even though I would like to see a lot more delegation of some admin rights down to lesser users, you really really really should not have "a lot of Jira administrators" - it's a recipe for disaster.  Most installations should have 2 or 3.  Maximum sane number is around 10...

Suggest an answer