Global issue type not available in project

sebski March 4, 2019

In Jira Cloud 7 day free-trial, I created a next-gen project P.

In Jira settings, I created an issue type named "Migration", which now appears on the list of options for "Default Issue Type Schema".

"Default Issue Type Schema" project value is set "Global (all unconfigured projects)".

Next, I want to create a "Migration" issue in project P.

However, the only issue types available are "Story" and "Epic".

Did I miss a step somewhere?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Josh Carolan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 4, 2019

Hi Sebastian,

Next gen projects are much simpler to configure than classic projects (it's one of the main reasons we built them!), as such you don't need to go to the trouble of adding an issue type to a schema and associating that schema to the project.

To add an issue type to a next gen project, navigate to your project, then from the left side navigation click "Project settings" --> "Issue types" --> "+ Add issue type"

Add the issue type and all the fields you want to see in that issue type and your'e done. You can then create issues in that project with that issue type without needing to fiddle around with schemas.

Let me know if this helps!

barbi.balogh January 7, 2021

Hi Josh,

I'm having the same issue as described above.

Is there any way to include this newly created issue type in all of our next-gen projects? Or, if I understood correctly, the next-gens don't support the schemas at all, do they?

For us, it seems too much effort to add the same issue to every software project we create.

Thank you,

Barbara

Josh Carolan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 1, 2021

Hi @barbi.balogh,

You are correct, next gen projects don't support schemas. To do what you want to do you are better off going with classic projects and using schemas so that you don't need to recreate the issue type for each project.

Tiago Almeida May 18, 2022

How can i get classic projects selection? its not showing when i create a new project

Suggest an answer