Giving users from same organisation visibility of issues

Hi

I am putting together a support desk and ticketing system using Jira. This system will be accessible to people from different organisations - each person will have their own Jira user account. Because there will people from different organisations with issues in the ticketing system, I need to restrict visibility of the issues so that people from other organisations don't see other organisations issues, so therefore the "Browse Project" permission for that project is restrictive. Users have visibility of issues they have reported as the "Browse Project" permission for the project includes the Reporter.

But, what I need to be able to do is make the particular issue visible to other people within the same organisation. One option I've looked at is simply adding other people from the same organisation as watchers. But the "Browser Project" does not have an option to include the Issue Watchers. I can enter the name of the other users as watchers, but when I try to save it, it comes up and says that the user entered as a watcher cannot be added because "does not have permission to view this issue".

So I'm stuck :(

I've run into this problem previously as a user of Jira submitting issues to Atlassian support where I wanted to be able to see issues reported by myself and other people in the same company that I worked for. They were able to give me visibility of those issues I think by adding me as a watcher to issues created by other people in my company.

So I'd be interested in finding out whether other people (either customers of Atlassian or Atlassian support) on how they have achieved this.

Thanks

David

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 19, 2012

could you install a plugin called "Jira misc workflow extensions"

(i don't know if it's possible inside an OnDemand Installation)

if yes, or maybe it's already installed then you could get the issue security level chosen programmatically by doing the following steps:

add two Roles to your project (Company A, Company B)

add two Groups to you Jira Groups (Company A, Company B)

add group (Company X) to your newly created project-roles

now edit the Workflow and modify post functions of the first transition "Create" and add

"Set issue security level based on user's project role".

in the next step you can select the project-role and the issue security level to be set.

do this for each Role/Issue Security Level

this requires the Security Levels to be set up before.

1. Name your new Issue Security Scheme

2. Create a Security Level for each Company and add the desired Project Role to it.

Now creating issues will automatically set issue permission as you configured...

also a good addon would be adding a customfield (f.e. you name it Company) and set the Type "Domain of Reporter"

if your users got mail addresses like "ne1@companyA.com" or "ne1@companyB.com" the domain will be shown in the issue-view screen with a nice option "find related issues"

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 19, 2012

You can add a user (or multi user) custom field and give "Browse" permission to that custom field. Same applies to groups.

The reporter, assignee or soeone who has edit access will have to add other users/groups into that field.

Another option is to enable issue security levels. The advantage of security levels is that one can add a security level only if they have the permission. So users won't add people from other organizations by mistake!

Thanks Jobin

I've tried the issue security option. This is the first time I've used issues security levels, so I'm going to describe what I did to get it to work and if there's a better/simpler way to do it, please point me in the right directions - thanks :)

• Set up a security level for each company (Company A and Company B)
  • Created user groups for each company (Company A and Company B) and put the users into the appropriate company group
  • Gave the groups (Company A and Company B) access via the security levels (Company A and Company B)
  • So for a given issue, all I need to do is set the issue security to the corresponding company and that means anyone in that company can see that issue

Many Thanks

David

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 19, 2012

Yes, that is right.

Suggest an answer