Giving a number to the comment on an issue

Hi,

When we comment the issue in JIRA, we want to give a number to the comment.

How is it possible to give the number to the comment in JIRA ?

Regards

Deepak Bhatia

3 answers

1 accepted

I mean before each comment, its number on that issue should come ?

For example

1 Comment

2 Comment

Thanks

Deepak

Ah, I think I understand. Instead of <Author><date/time><comment>, you want <Author><date/time><sequence><comment>

No, it doesn't do that. You'll need to do a bit of coding to implement that. Bearing in mind there's nowhere to store it in the database, I'd be tempted to have a go at the comment display code and see if I could derive the number from the date/time stamps.

0 vote

What do you mean by "give a number"?

Do you mean you want it in-line (use wiki-markup, and prefix each line with a #) or you want to refer to the comment by it's unique ID? Or something else?

Nic, how about the index# of the comment? This should be easily configurable. DeepakBhatia is probably a former Bugzilla! user like I am. In Bugzilla!, each comment is numbered:

Comment#1
"blah blah blah"

Comment#2
"blah Blah Blah2"

The point is that it is really handy, when responding to comments, to refer to which comment you are commenting on. Futher, Bugzilla! goes so far as to as to autoembed a link to the comment in the new comment. So if I were to type: "Joe, in Comment#3 you said the system state was default. That is not correct, the state is active", the text "Comment#3" is a link.

If JIRA has a different concept that is synonomous, let's hear it.

There is no index number on the comment, there's nothing to "easily configure".

That's the point I'm making when I say "you'll need a bit of code to do it" - if you want to do this, you need to write some code to work out and expose that index.

Although you do have the unique id of each comment available and instead of doing date/time, you could simply count through those on an issue (If you see id's 10010, 10300, 23456, then you'd number them 1, 2, 3 - higher numbers in the id mean they were added later)

My guess is Jira doesn't have this because it's not as useful as it might look, unless you've got multithreaded conversations going on, in which case, your issue is probably too complex!

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in Jira

Join our webinar: How 1B+ feature flag events helped us build the new Jira

Every time you release software, there's a bit of risk – that there's a bug, that something breaks, or that the feature doesn't resonate with customers. Feature flagging helps make high stakes s...

134 views 0 3
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you