Giving Permissions to a user to Edit Specific Issue Types

Elif Alverson April 24, 2018

Hello, 

I would like to give permissions to a group/a user that they can edit a specific issue type which has a custom workflow. Is it possible to do that? 

Thank you.

1 answer

0 votes
Sebastien Jacques
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2018

@Elif Alverson, you can set properties on the workflow statuses.

More specifically, you would have to set the following property on each status:

• jira.permission.edit.group = your_usergroup OR
    jira.permission.edit.role = your_userrole OR
    jira.permission.edit.user = your_user

You can find all the details in the Workflow properties documentation.

Elif Alverson April 25, 2018

@Sebastien Jacques , 

I have tried the way screen shot provided below, however it did not work.

IT Group members were not able to make any changes on the that specific issue type. I did not make any changes on the Project Permission Scheme since this is only related to one issue type and its workflow. Only the  " Admins " can edit issues for this project based on the  "Project Permission Scheme ". Is that the reason? If I change it to IT and Admins, then is not IT team going to edit all the issue types under that Project???? Any suggestions?

Thank you.

image.png

Sebastien Jacques
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2018

@Elif Alverson, as you found out, the permission scheme takes precedence: users must have edit permission for the project.

The usual approach for your scenario is to create a separate project for the IT work. You can easily manage permissions with a new permission scheme without adding properties to the workflow. There are a number of variations out there on how to use it, depending on your needs and business cases:

A) The issue is created directly in the 'IT' project. End of story.

B) The issue is created in the 'admin' project:

1. and moved to the 'IT' project (which admin can read)
  2. and a new issue is created in the 'IT' project (and linked to the 'admin' issues, if needed).
  3. and cloned to the 'IT' project which will add a link between the 2 issues.

You could add a transition in the 2nd approach to automatically create and link the new 'IT' issue.

For both the 2nd and 3rd approach, you could add post-functions to relevant transitions (especially to resolution) in the 'IT' workflow to update/transition the linked 'admin' workflow.

Suggest an answer