Give a JIRA user access to only 1 project?

Brandon Briggs December 2, 2013

Our organization uses various JIRA projects but there is one that I need to open up to an outside person. I only want that person to have access to one of our projects but he can currently see all projects.

The majority of our projects use the default permission scheme which allows the users group. If this user is removed from users he can not login or access anything. So I need to allow the user to login to JIRA OnDemand and only access the one project.

Ideas?

7 answers

1 accepted

11 votes
Answer accepted
Mauro Badii
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 2, 2013

Hi Brandon,

It can be performed in different ways but the one with the least changes would be to:

1. Create a new group and add the user there
2. Add the group to the Global Permissions (Jira Users) so the user can log in
3. Remove the user from the group 'users' that is enabling him to see all the other projects
4. Add the new group to your project's Role (Users) to grant him access to that project

Cheers!

Brandon Briggs December 2, 2013

Perfect solution. Thanks for the answer.

Szczepan Wilkiewicz September 13, 2016

Working :) THX

Eva Höglin November 16, 2016

The old way of configuring Global Permission "JIRA Users" has been removed in JIRA Software 7. Instead this is setup in the Application Access for e.g. JIRA Software.

Like Abdessamad Anachad likes this
Sarah Tanzillo January 31, 2019

I did all these steps, and it still did not work. When I proxy login as the user they are able to view all projects rather than the one I want them to see.

Like # people like this
Webellian March 21, 2019

We have the same issue.  We have added a user with only one group present.  We added that group to the proejct we want him to have access.  When we test this setup the users sees all the projects we have.  Our setup looks correct and this seems to be a bug.  We need help in resolving this issue.

Claudiu Lionte
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 21, 2019

Hi Webellian,

Most likely your permission scheme still has Any logged-in user for the Browse projects permission.

I wrote a very detailed, step-by-step article on how to fix this. Please have a look:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/New-to-Jira-articles/How-to-give-a-user-read-only-access-to-a-single-project-and/ba-p/1010143

Like # people like this
Webellian April 11, 2019

Hi @Claudiu Lionte 

We do not have any permission sheme that consist "Any logged-in user".  I am sorry to report but something is wrong with our account.  We have tried everything and the setup is correct.  We have followed you instructions, setup everything from the beginning and still the same issue persists.

Bottom line:

1. We have setup a group called: users-actie

2. We have created a user called: Tester09

3. We added Tester09 to group users-actie

4. Tester09 is not part of any other group

5. We added group users-actie only to the given project

Still when Tester09 logins it sees ALL projects.  We cannot change this behavior and we need this to work ASAP.

Please advise.  Please take a look our account and insure that eg. Tester09 can only see project he is assigned to and not ALL.

Thanks,

Sebastian

Like Mark Gukov likes this
Bart Jol September 16, 2019

Any news on this, we have the same problem (jira version 7.13.5)?

1 vote
Grant Wells July 22, 2014

Hi Mauro, This works great except that eveytime we add a Jira new user, the new user gets added to all the groups that have Global Permissions.

Is there any work around for this?

Thanks

Grant

0 votes
Pavel Kudrautsau April 7, 2018

Hi Robie!

Could you make the same video with a new Jra interface?

It's a bit confusing to me to adapt your video to a new interface...

Claudiu Lionte
Atlassian Team
August 14, 2018

Hi Pavel,

I have created a step-by-step guide for the new Jira interface as an answer to the question here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/JIRA-Software-project-permission-restrict-user-access-to-one/qaq-p/779572#M265522

Claudiu

mschonarthatlassian
Atlassian Team
August 24, 2018

Hi Pavel,

If you need any help on this, I've just created a new KB with a step-by-step guide and a video to better illustrate them, so I'd recommend you check it out!

How to restrict project access for teams in Jira Cloud

Let me know what you think!

Cheers,

Matheus Schonarth

0 votes
Robie Boisvert September 26, 2017
Patrick Dufresne January 17, 2018

Hi Robie,

Thanks for the video, one question I had was if we remove "Any Logged in User" from he Default Software Scheme. Wouldn't this effectively restrict access to view projects and tickets within them to users associated with that particular project? Right now we have access to all projects and I don't think we want to restrict that.

Robie Boisvert January 17, 2018

Hi Patrick,

I just added this link but I did not produce the video. Unfortunately, I don’t have the answer to your question.

Patrick Dufresne January 18, 2018

No worries thanks for the prompt response anyways.

0 votes
Philip Meldrum May 11, 2016

The key thing that threw me were the project permission scheme 'Default software scheme' which is setup by default when you choose 'Kanban' projects. This permission scheme basically give permissions to everyone to everything... Changing it to 'Default Permission Scheme' solves this, making it only available to Users defined in the Project's 'Users & Roles'

0 votes
Nicole Stotzer July 16, 2015

Hi Mauro, I have followed your instruction and it worked so far. But now when this user creates an Issue in the Project Field he can see the titles of all other projects which is not good. Is there a way I can prohibit that, or did I miss something in your instruction?

Thanks

emanuele agresti September 5, 2016

Hi Nicole did you solve this? I'm in the same situation!

thanks in advance

Emanuele

0 votes
Marius George October 23, 2014

I recorded the steps here as a reminder to myself. Hopefully this will help others too.

Suggest an answer