Give a JIRA user access to only 1 project?

Our organization uses various JIRA projects but there is one that I need to open up to an outside person. I only want that person to have access to one of our projects but he can currently see all projects.

The majority of our projects use the default permission scheme which allows the users group. If this user is removed from users he can not login or access anything. So I need to allow the user to login to JIRA OnDemand and only access the one project.

Ideas?

6 answers

1 accepted

Hi Brandon,

It can be performed in different ways but the one with the least changes would be to:

1. Create a new group and add the user there
2. Add the group to the Global Permissions (Jira Users) so the user can log in
3. Remove the user from the group 'users' that is enabling him to see all the other projects
4. Add the new group to your project's Role (Users) to grant him access to that project

Cheers!

Perfect solution. Thanks for the answer.

The old way of configuring Global Permission "JIRA Users" has been removed in JIRA Software 7. Instead this is setup in the Application Access for e.g. JIRA Software.

Hi Mauro, This works great except that eveytime we add a Jira new user, the new user gets added to all the groups that have Global Permissions.

Is there any work around for this?

Thanks

Grant

I recorded the steps here as a reminder to myself. Hopefully this will help others too.

Hi Mauro, I have followed your instruction and it worked so far. But now when this user creates an Issue in the Project Field he can see the titles of all other projects which is not good. Is there a way I can prohibit that, or did I miss something in your instruction?

Thanks

Hi Nicole did you solve this? I'm in the same situation!

thanks in advance

Emanuele

The key thing that threw me were the project permission scheme 'Default software scheme' which is setup by default when you choose 'Kanban' projects. This permission scheme basically give permissions to everyone to everything... Changing it to 'Default Permission Scheme' solves this, making it only available to Users defined in the Project's 'Users & Roles'

Hi Robie,

Thanks for the video, one question I had was if we remove "Any Logged in User" from he Default Software Scheme. Wouldn't this effectively restrict access to view projects and tickets within them to users associated with that particular project? Right now we have access to all projects and I don't think we want to restrict that.

Hi Patrick,

I just added this link but I did not produce the video. Unfortunately, I don’t have the answer to your question.

No worries thanks for the prompt response anyways.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,963 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot