Getting "Field 'reporter' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown." error

Milan Seth August 3, 2018

I have integrated JIRA cloud version with Pega 7.4. Integration was successful but I get this error "Field 'reporter' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown." on creating user stories,bugs etc.

Can someone help with this ?

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 3, 2018

Whatever Pega is trying to do, it is doing it via "create issue" or "edit issue", and it is using a user account in Jira to do it.

You need to make sure that the account Pega is using has the right permissions in the project (create and/or edit, and "edit reporter" too), and that the reporter field is on the screens.  Try creating an issue there manually and see if it's there.

Milan Seth August 3, 2018

Thanks for the response. It worked :)

alain pokam September 25, 2022

I have the same issue when creating from jenkins pipeline.
However, the same request works fine when using Postman.
What is going wrong here?

I appreciate your help.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 25, 2022

It's the same problem - the user you are using in Jenkins does not have the right to set the reporter.

alain pokam September 26, 2022

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 
Thank you so much!
I wonder why it works within Postman and fails from the Jenkins pipeline.
I wish it did happen the other way around.

alain pokam September 29, 2022

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

This is what the logs reports. 

2022-09-23 12:28:09,456+0200 http-nio-8080-exec-169 ERROR APOKAM 748x18873045x5 71ps1k 91.21.194.150,193.161.196.52 /rest/scriptrunner/behaviours/latest/validatorsByPid.json [c.o.jira.behaviours.BehaviourManagerImpl] *************************************************************************************
2022-09-23 12:28:09,469+0200 http-nio-8080-exec-169 ERROR APOKAM 748x18873045x5 71ps1k 91.21.194.150,193.161.196.52 /rest/scriptrunner/behaviours/latest/validatorsByPid.json [c.o.jira.behaviours.BehaviourManagerImpl] Script function failed on issue: (create issue) project/issuetype: ATLSUP/Service Request, user: APOKAM, fieldId: duedate, file: io/mb/jira/behaviors/atlsupFields/duedate.groovy, edit behaviour: https://mycustomer/plugins/servlet/scriptrunner/admin/behaviours/edit/62 

The fieldId: duedate is not mandatory, hence not in my POST request payload. 

Any hint?
Sorry, I am new to this API and appreciate your hint. 

Jackie Bilog December 9, 2022

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- can you advise on whether there have been any changes or updates to Jira Cloud recently? 

My team has noted that we're encountering this issue on defect tickets and not tasks - this user has both "Administrator" and "Browse" project roles. The user was able to modify Reporter on both issue types with no problems on Monday.

We have also confirmed through Permissions Helper that everything is set up correctly: Screen Shot 2022-12-09 at 9.27.15 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-12-09 at 9.24.43 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-12-09 at 9.25.25 AM.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 9, 2022

Cloud changes frequently, but I've not seen permission changes in the last few months worth of release notes (additions for JPD, but those would not break existing permissions)

1 vote
Joshua Warren December 19, 2018

I am also having this problem. I have checked that my custom field is on all screens. I am using the python module (jira-python: https://github.com/pycontribs/jira) so it is not an issue with my JSON query (well - I trust it). I am admin so permissions should not be an issue. I can create the Issue manually (and the field appears there). 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 19, 2018

Forget admin logins, they just give you admin rights, not project rights.

Look at the user you are using for the connection.  If you log in as that user rather than admin, can you see the issue you are trying to update remotely?  Can you click edit, and see the field on screen?

If you can, then can you try the example curl commands in the docs for updating an issue with that account - does that work?

Joshua Warren December 20, 2018

I am project admin too! And I'm using that login for the connection. And yes I can edit and see the field on screen. However I get the same error from the curl command. The command works if I do not set that field.

Joshua Warren December 24, 2018

SOLVED: I didn't realise I needed to refer the custom field by it's customField_ID name, rather than the name I gave it! 

Thanks for your help though Nic

0 votes
Chris Green March 15, 2022

This is an old post, but any resolution? I'm also trying to create the reporter and getting the same error.

Thanks,

Chris

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 15, 2022

It's the same answers - you need to be using an account that has the permission to set reporter, and the reporter needs to be on the create and/or edit screens.

Chris Green March 15, 2022

I got it to work, but apparently you have to pass the Id (Jira guid/identifier) for the user, and you're not able to pass in the user's email address. Not a big deal, but I'll just have to make a call to get the User's ID from their email, parse out the Id and then create the ticket. 

Like # people like this
alain pokam September 25, 2022

I have the same issue when creating from jenkins pipeline.
However, the same request works fine when using Postman.
What am I doing wrong?

I appreciate your help.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 29, 2022

Your script is not using the right account to make the request.  @Chris Green nails the main reason for failure here.

Madhura Lodam October 26, 2023

@Chris Green can you highlight which call you are making to get the User's ID from their email, that will be really helpful?

Appreciate your to the point resolution above.

0 votes
Justin Rice February 19, 2020

I am having this same issue as well. I had an admin create an API key. This admin is also an admin of the project as well as the account. The request body looks like this:

{
"update": {},
"fields": {
"summary": "Main order flow broken",
"issuetype": {
"self": "https://BLAHBLAH.net/rest/api/3/issuetype/3",
"id": "3",
"description": "A task that needs to be done.",
"name": "Task",
"subtask": false,
"avatarId": 10318
},
"project": {
"id": "10000"
},
"reporter": {
"id": "ACTUAL_USER_ID"
},
"displayName": "Admin",
"active": true,
"timeZone": "America/Chicago",
"locale": "en_US"
},
"description": {
"type": "doc",
"version": 1,
"content": [
{
"type": "paragraph",
"content": [
{
"text": "Order entry fails when selecting supplier.",
"type": "text"
}
]
}
]
}
}
}

I have the post request going to: rest/api/3/issue?

And the error I get back is:

{    "errorMessages": [],    
"errors": {        
"reporter": 
"Field 'reporter' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown."    
}}
Ravi Chaganti September 12, 2023

Please let know if this issue is resolved. i'm facing same issue/error

Thanks in advance

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 14, 2023

It probably has been resolved, by using the right account, not confusing "admin rights" with "right to edit the issue" and "right to set the reporter" and making sure the reporter is on the edit screen.

Suggest an answer