Getting Work Logs into Quickbooks Time

Dawn VanDamme November 12, 2020

We want to use Jira for Client Projects.  We plan to use Epics for Projects and Tickets for Tasks with Work Logs for each time entry. 

We are finding it very difficult to export / import or dynamically connect these products. 

If there is not a way to do this easily - how have others solved this challenge if there are using Jira for billable projects? 

(I've tried Automate.io, however I cannot seem to get fields needed for Client name and Project on the actual available Work Log fields and that is the only way to use that.  Also it is very manual process to add employees, clients and projects.)

Thanks!

Dawn

1 answer

0 votes
Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 12, 2020

Hi @Dawn VanDamme I can't see a way how to do it on Jira Cloud by default/natively. You can, of course, use REST API to get the data, but I don't think it is something you want to do.

I did a short research and found this App which might be usefull for you: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/294/timesheet-reports-and-gadgets?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

Is it ok for you to install new Apps?

Dawn VanDamme November 13, 2020

I can install new Apps - but everything I see just feels like a bunch of extra steps, including the apps in Marketplace. 

Why don't you recommend REST API? 

Thanks!

Dawn

Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 13, 2020

Hi @Dawn VanDamme I didn't recommend the REST API because you want solution which is easy :). So for REST API. To get worklogs over REST API there are two endpoints which can be used:

So you need to have worklog IDs somewhere (maybe collect them using worklog created webhook). Or you have to load all the issues and check if the worklog for the period is contained. But there are limitations when talking about count of the rest API invocations (https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rate-limiting/).

And I have to react to the "bunch of extra steps"... there are a lot of applications which could be integrated with Atlassian tools but it is not the way Atlassian is thinking (thanks to God). Atlassian's way is to provide basis functionalities in the products. There are more features as part of the basis in areas like Project management, ITSM.
Atlassian tools are not made for billing by default. Atlassian allows you to extend the products with Apps if you need to use it for usecase which is not common for Atlassian tools users.

I hope my information will help you to solve your problem and, of course, feel free to ask more questions.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events