Getting Field is Required Error Message when Field is not included on screen

TCampbell January 16, 2014

I have a few different screens created for the same project with different fields being required on different screens. When trying to submit a form for one of the particular screens, I am getting an error message "X Field is Required" even though this field is not on this particular form (it is on another form tied to the same project). Any help to resolve this would be much appreciated. I am using Version 6.0.7

4 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Deleted user February 19, 2018

This is truly bizzare! Forcing me to put a mandatory field on an irrelevant screen totally beyond my logic!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 20, 2018

It is odd.  It's happened because of the way Jira evolved early on in its life, and it's something I would dearly love Atlassian to throw away.

The field configuration says "field is mandatory", so you must enter it on the issue.  The screen in this case is irrelevant to the logic of the field configuration, Jira just sees the mandatory flag and requires the field to be filled.  So, almost incidentally, you have to put the field on the screen, just so a user can meet the requirements of the field configuration.

Ideally, I'd like to see field configurations go away, with most of their functions moving into screens or the custom field definition.

Rahul k May 17, 2019

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

I have a similar issue but mine is a little different, Field is mandatory , and there is a value in it, but it still shows "You must enter a value for this field" under it when i try to create an issue

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2019

That is a different problem.  If there is a value in a field and you get an error trying to save it, you have a validator going wrong.  Could you ask this as a new question and give more detail on the field config and fields on the create screen? 

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
0 votes
Sylvain BALERIN October 4, 2016

I am getting the same issue than the one described by TCampbell with JIRA 7.1. I have a simple workflow Create->Review->Resolve->Verify and the Create transition fails due to a field not even used in the "Create" screen but mandatory in the "Review" screen. Until I get a solution/workaround for this, this is simply blocking the implementation of our defect workflow and may postpone JIRA adoption in our company. Is there a known bug/CR in the JIRA issue database?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 4, 2016

No, because it is not a bug/CR.

A field is not "mandatory in a screen", it's either mandatory or optional everywhere.  See the original answer and comments for how to set it up correctly.

0 votes
Bethany Amborn April 15, 2015

IF the screens are tied to different issue types, you can solve this problem by creating a field configuration for each issue type that has different required fields. If it's the same issue type, then Nic is right, you have to either show the field or make it optional.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 16, 2014

"Field is required" is a flag that has absolutely nothing to do with screens.

You either need to remove the flag in the field configuration, making it optional, or you need to add the field to the screen so the user can obey the mandatory rule you've set.

TCampbell January 16, 2014

Thanks for the response. I am getting the field is required error message when I am trying to create an issue. I do not want to make the field optional because it is a field that is on another screen tied to the project (that is required). And I do not want to add this field to this particular screen (where I am getting the field is required error message) because it is not relevant on this screen. Hope this makes sense.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 16, 2014

I think you've missed my point.

If a field is mandatory, it is mandatory. So you need to put a value in.

That's it. Screens are irrelevant - you've set up a rule that says "this field must be filled in". So you need to provide a way for the user to fill it in. Which means putting it on the "create" screen. Doesn't matter if you think it's relevant for the screen, you have told Jira that the user must fill it in.

So, again, your choices are

1) make it optional

2) put it on the screen

Note that if you've got a plugin that provides a transition valiator such as "field X is required for this transition", then that you can make the field optional and force entry later in the workflow later. But that's a variation on option 1 above. (I tend to use the one in the "Jira Suite Utilities", but there are others)

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question