Get version by name via rest API

Aede van der Weij August 21, 2017

I only have the name of a version that needs to be set to released. In order to close it I need the corresponding id. The following api returns a list of all versions for a specifc project

http://<JIRA_HOST>/rest/api/2/project/<PROJECT_KEY>/version

I could then search the result for a matching entry and fetch the id from the response. This could be a solution. However for large projects this will not be very efficient. I am looking to filter the results by name, but I cannot find anything documented that would support something like this:

http://<JIRA_HOST>/rest/api/2/project/<PROJECT_KEY>/version?name=<VERSION_NAME>

If the API is lacking such a feature I am interested in other ways to limit te result. Maybe filtering it by status (only show unreleased versions). Or maybe a complete different approach.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2017

As of now, there is no option to restrict the results based on version attributes. You will have to write a plugin to expose a new end point if you really need it.

The best you can do is to use pagination.

I do not wan't to write a plugin for numerous reasons, but thanks for mentioning it.

Is the order of versions in the result guaranteed or can it be changed? Per default it appears to be oldest first. The unreleased versions would most likely be the newer ones, hence will appear at the end. If I cannot determine the order, pagination will not really be helpful I reckon.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2017

There is an orderBy option and you can order by the following fields:

• sequence
  • name
  • startDate
  • releaseDate

Perfect. For reference sake I add that by adding a minus sign would change the default order from ascending to descending.

For example:

orderBy=-startDate will order by startDate most recent first.

Like Andreea Năstase likes this

Suggest an answer