Get initial workflow status when changing workflows

Jón Arnar Briem November 8, 2017

In my code I want to change an issue from one issue type to another. Doing this requires me to also change the workflow for the issue, and for that I am using this function:

workflowManager.migrateIssueToWorkflow(issue, workflow, status)

issue and workflow are simple parameters to provide but determining which status should be the target is a bit more tricky. I want the issue to be as if it were newly created so I'm looking for the workflow's initial status. As far as I can tell there is no 

workflowManager.getWorkflowInitialStatus(workflow)

or equivalent function. So far I've been using the following method to determine which Status to use:

issue.setIssueTypeId(newIssueTypeId);
String statusId = workflowManager
.getNextStatusIdForAction(issue, 1);
Status firstStatus = ComponentAccessor.getConstantsManager().getStatus(statusId); 

This relies on the "Create" action always having the id "1" and the current implementation of workflowManager.getNextStatusIdForAction fetching workflow based on issue's type and project but not the workflow member variable, hence the issueTypeId is set before the status is fetched. 

There must be some more robust way of doing this. Does anyone have any ideas?

1 answer

0 votes
Christian Vieweg January 22, 2018

I achieved this as follows:

Collection<ActionDescriptor> allActions = workflow.getDescriptor().getInitialActions();
for (ActionDescriptor action : allActions) {
int step = action.getUnconditionalResult().getStep();
Status status = workflow.getLinkedStatus(workflow.getDescriptor().getStep(step));
// do stuff
break;
}

Suggest an answer