Get email notification when issue moved from certain status to another

Kristin Bestla May 8, 2013

Good day :)

I'd like Jira to send email notification to a certain email address whenever a certain issuetype (Change request) is moved from certain custom made statuses (Implementing Request to Closed Request).

I've taken a look at Custom Events in Jira (and was then going to add a post function to the workflow), and somehow I'm not able to choose those custom made statuses of mine.

Any idea in how I could solve this?

Thank you!

Kristín

4 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
pkirkeby
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 8, 2013

Hi Kristin,

It sounds like you are looking for this page https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Adding+a+Custom+Event

You will basically need to:

1. add a custom even

2. configure notification scheme

3. add a post function to the workflow transition to trigger the custom event

Hope that helps :)

Hi Pelle, no unfortunatly this page doesn't help, I've already taken a look at it, but thank you for answering :)

Hi Pelle,

When I create a Custom Event, I'm asked to choose a template, and none of those templates apply to what I need. The closest is "Issue Resolved" template, but I want to only send email when it's resolved from a certain status (Request Implemented - don't want email when the issues is resolved with other statuses), and that's where I get stuck when creating a custom event. Is that maybe correct but is set in the post function or?

pkirkeby
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 8, 2013

Hi Kristin,

I'm not sure why that would not work. Are you having trouble with any of the steps on that page or is there some reason it does not apply to your case?

Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 8, 2013

This link will teach you how to create a custom template.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Customising+Email+Content

pkirkeby
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 8, 2013

The template you chose in the Custom Event does not have anything to do with the actual name of the status workflow transitions. These templates are basically the default ones that come with JIRA.

eg. If you chose the 'Issue resolved' template it won't affect the 'Resolved' transition in your workflow.

You could use the 'Issue Updated' email template for example. Otherwise, you might even want to map it to your own custom email template: http://wiki.customware.net/repository/display/ATLASSIAN/How+to+create+a+custom+event+in+JIRA

1. I've created a custom event called "Request Implemented" (using the Issue Updated template that already exists in Jira)
  2. I've created a Request email notification scheme and set it up so that when "Request Implemented" is fired, an email is sent to a specific email address - and I've connected that notification scheme to Project using the Request Workflow
  3. In the Request workflow, I've added a post funtion ( to the Close transition from Implement status to Closed status) to Fire the Request Implemented event.

But still, I'm not getting the emails - am I doing this wrong? :D

pkirkeby
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 9, 2013

Check out the JIRA Admin Helper. That might help troubleshoot why you aren't getting notifications for this event: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Email+Notifications#ConfiguringEmailNotifications-Troubleshootingemailnotifications

Also this page could be helpful in case the above isn't: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Notifications+Troubleshooting

3 votes
Tommy Nordahl
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 9, 2013

Hello Kristin,

Another rather useful notification plugin is this one:

Notification Assistant for JIRA

// Tommy

1 vote
Sameera Shaakunthala [inactive]
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 9, 2013

I have also configured a workflow in my JIRA instance which gives the same feature. What I have done is,

1. Install the Groovy Runner plug-in and groovy libraries
  2. In the workflow transition between the two statuses (Implementing to Close in your case), add a script workflow function (Post Function)
  3. There's an in-built script called "Send a custom email"
  4. Write the e-mail template (you'll have to learn some coding - that's not rocket science)

Cheers!

0 votes
Tibor Hegyi _META-INF_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 9, 2013

Hi Kristin,

You can develop custom templates and add them to JIRA via the email-template-id-mappings.xml if the system templates are not enough.

This is a rather cumbersome way as you have to restart JIRA to add new templates.

There are plugin alternatives that allow you to add templates via an embedded editor. I know two of them.

One is Email This Issue and the other one is JEMH.

Tibor

Suggest an answer