GeneralRuntimeException: Could not determine database type

Every time I reboot the server I get this error:

com.atlassian.cache.CacheException: org.ofbiz.core.util.GeneralRuntimeException: Could not determine database type. (FATAL: password authentication failed for user "jira")
	com.atlassian.cache.memory.DelegatingCachedReference.get(DelegatingCachedReference.java:43)
	com.atlassian.jira.config.properties.DbBackedPropertiesManager.get(DbBackedPropertiesManager.java:60)
	com.atlassian.jira.config.properties.DbBackedPropertiesManager.get(DbBackedPropertiesManager.java:16)
	com.atlassian.jira.config.properties.PropertiesManager.getPropertySet(PropertiesManager.java:27)
	com.atlassian.jira.config.properties.ApplicationPropertiesStore.getStringFromDb(ApplicationPropertiesStore.java:271)
	com.atlassian.jira.config.properties.ApplicationPropertiesImpl.getString(ApplicationPropertiesImpl.java:56)
	com.atlassian.jira.config.properties.ApplicationPropertiesImpl.getEncoding(ApplicationPropertiesImpl.java:119)
	com.atlassian.jira.config.properties.ApplicationPropertiesImpl.getContentType(ApplicationPropertiesImpl.java:141)
	com.atlassian.jira.web.filters.JiraEncodingFilter.getContentType(JiraEncodingFilter.java:59)
	com.atlassian.core.filters.encoding.AbstractEncodingFilter.doFilter(AbstractEncodingFilter.java:39)
	com.atlassian.core.filters.AbstractHttpFilter.doFilter(AbstractHttpFilter.java:31)
	com.atlassian.jira.web.filters.PathMatchingEncodingFilter.doFilter(PathMatchingEncodingFilter.java:49)
	com.atlassian.core.filters.AbstractHttpFilter.doFilter(AbstractHttpFilter.java:31)
	com.atlassian.jira.startup.JiraStartupChecklistFilter.doFilter(JiraStartupChecklistFilter.java:78)
	com.atlassian.jira.web.filters.steps.ChainedFilterStepRunner.doFilter(ChainedFilterStepRunner.java:87)
	com.atlassian.jira.web.filters.JiraFirstFilter.doFilter(JiraFirstFilter.java:57)

If I restart the jira service it works.

System: Ubuntu Server 13.10, Jira 6.2

2 answers

1 accepted

I worked hard to find out where the problem was: I used a non-ASCII character in the db password (namely an "à"). For an unknown reason this issue occours only during startup. Perhaps it is a problem of postgresql.

Hi Alfio, is JIRA and the database server installed on the same server? I'm asking this, because it may be that when you restart the server, JIRA service may starts faster than the database server service and it may be unavailable when JIRA tries to connect to it at the first moment.

Cheers

Yes they are installed on the same machine. postgresql starts just before jira. Any idea?

I tried with a delay of 30 seconds in the jira service script but the problem remains.

It's not a matter of time. I tried in many ways, i.e. to start-stop-start:

case "$1" in
    start)
        ./start-jira.sh
        sleep 360
        ./stop-jira.sh
        sleep 20
        ./start-jira.sh
        ;;
    stop)
        ./stop-jira.sh
        ;;

When I restart jira manually, either as a root or as a jira user, it works.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Jira

Meet the AUG leaders of Northern Virginia

@Rachel Wright (Jira Genie), @Billy Poggi (AUG NOVA, DC), and @Dana Jansen (Confluence Queen) are just some of the folks that lead one of the world's most active Atlassian User Group (AUG)....

123 views 4 9
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you