Free version - Can't assign issues to all team members

Vicky Potts February 25, 2020

Hi there,

I have set up a JIRA 'site' with five members. Two have full JIRA admin permissions.

I made a JIRA software project before adding the other three members to my team. When I now click on a particular JIRA software project, only the two users with full JIRA admin permissions are listed.

I can't assign tasks to my other three users, and they can't move tasks across boards - they can only do things like add comments/upload images. This is the access screen for that project.

jirahelp.pngI can't edit per-project settings because I am on the free version. On the 'global site user dashboard', it appears everyone should be able to use JIRA Software as expected, and lists five users (all trusted) with JIRA product access.

fiveusers.png

jirausers.png

Any help would be appreciated - I can't find anything that says there is a limit to two users only within a particular project. I'd like all five members to be able to add, edit, and update tasks and interact with the project as normal.

**EDIT:**

I used the 'Permission helper' to see what was going on:

> 'UserInQuestion' does not have the 'Assignable User' permission

How do I, globally, allow this user to be 'assigned' to? The helper only gives me instructions on a per project level, which is not possible in the free mode i.e.

'You can change this by going to the project roles and adding UserInQuestion to the missing role(s)'

We've already added a lot of issues to our backlog and set up the Confluence wiki before adding our other three users, so it would be a real shame if I they are not automatically added retroactively to existing projects :(

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

I've found a workaround for now (adding people via 'Board' and then clicking 'Add People' to Sprint), but the main issue still stands:

• There is no way to add a group of users, without any fancy permissions, to a pre-existing project in FREE mode via the Project Settings > Access Menu
  • There is no way to assign a different Permission Scheme to a pre-existing project in FREE mode
  • Changing permissions in the Default Permission Scheme had no impact in our case, as the Permission Scheme we were able to alter was not linked to the project.
1 vote
Mathieu Truchot
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 25, 2020

hi Vicky,

Try to have a look to your permission Scheme and add there the "assignable user" permission to any logged in user.

Admin => Issues => Permission Scheme (last item of the list)

https://YOURJIRA.atlassian.net/secure/admin/ViewPermissionSchemes.jspa

I do not have a big experience with the free version but If I understand well, you are limited to one permission scheme only, so the changes you will make will impact all your projects.

I hope it helps you,

Cheers,

Mathieu

Hi Mathieu,

Thanks for replying and the link. When I click that, it shows me TWO permissions schemes:

• Default Permission Scheme 

• "This is the default Permission Scheme. Any new projects that are created will be assigned this scheme."

• It is not attached to any project
    • Actions:
      • Copy, edit, and view permissions 
      • No option to delete
  • 'BizDev' permission scheme
    • "The permission scheme for Jira Core Free. In Free, any registered user can access and administer this project."
    • Projects: 'BizDev HQ' (this is not my JIRA software project, but a JIRA core test project I made)
    • Actions:
      • View permissions 
      • Copy, edit, and delete greyed out

jirahelp2.pngI created a new group called 'core-team', added all five site members to that, and assigned every permission available to 'core-team' in the Default Permissions Scheme. It appears as follows:

jira3.png

Unfortunately, this still has not had any impact on my JIRA software project that only lists two users.

I think the problem is now that my originally created JIRA software project does not have a permission scheme assigned to it?! I'm not sure how to proceed :)

0 votes
kumar jira February 25, 2020

Edit permission scheme and grand respective community.PNG permissions to the users.

Hi Kumar,

In my Default Permissions Scheme I have granted the 'Move Issues' and 'Assignable User' permissions to

• individual users in my team
  • a brand-new group I made called 'core-team', just for this purpose

Unfortunately, neither of these changes have allowed them to move/edit/add/update issues within a JIRA software project.

Mathieu Truchot
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 25, 2020

Hi Vicky,

Could you check your project settings (the Software project you're working on) ? 

Project XX => Project settings => Permissions 

The name of the permission Scheme should appear in the header

(and to who the "assignable user" permission has be granded)

Like Vicky Potts likes this

Hey Mathieu, 

In the 'free' dashboard, only the following options are available under Project Settings:

jirahelp3.png

And the "Access" screen is as shown in the OP.

I've found a workaround which I'll outline in a top-level reply :)

Suggest an answer