Force Title Case for Issue Field

Gideon Stettler August 10, 2021

Hi everyone

Does anyone know a way to force title case (APA) for Jira issue fields (in my case the summary field)?

Regards,

Gideon

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 10, 2021

Do you mean the case of the lettering?  If so, I hope you mean you are going to be forcing people to STOP SHOUTING and use their words properly.

Gideon Stettler August 13, 2021

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- Not exactly. 
According to APA (see https://capitalizemytitle.com/) most words would start with capital letters, but yes, also "SHOWTING" would be converted to "Showting".

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 13, 2021

Well, most fields wouldn't be used as titles, especially issue summaries, and it's not really good to write anything with title case, but first-letter-only capitalisation isn't shouting when you do have a title field :-)

You'll need to find or write an app to do this, and there's a couple of approaches.  The two most obvious ones would be

• Validation - when someone creates or transitions an issue, check the title field and if it's wrong, go back to the human and tell them that you want it written differently
  • Automation - do the check and just change the data for them. 

There is a risk in both of these - you're stopping the human writing the way they want.  Not a bad thing for some of us, but good writers are going to get annoyed at the control or mangling what they're saying.

Gideon Stettler August 15, 2021

Thanks @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-for your suggestions. 

I understand your concerns about the fact that another person's text would be changed, but I think with clear information about the automation-task, it wouldn't be a problem for us, as people know about the guidelines for titles. So it actually would be helpful.

Do you have any idea how this could be done with automation?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events