Font Size in Jira - Changing in CSS

vincent beudez January 5, 2012

Hi,

I would like to change the font size in several places in Jira, mainly in the Issue View.
So i tried to find the correct CSS file, which should have been Issue-view.css (the one in atlassian-jira\ui\). The problem is that whatever i change there, I don't see any change in the Jira application.

I also don't see anything about font size there. Is that the good way to do it?

Thanks,

Vincent

2 answers

3 votes
David at David Simpson Apps
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 5, 2012

The base font-size is set on the body at 13px

See line 2 e.g. https://jira.atlassian.com/s/en_US-x2i14y/663/14/1.0/_/download/batch/jira.webresources:global-static/jira.webresources:global-static.css

body{color:#000000;font-size:13px;line-height:1.3077;font-family:Arial,FreeSans,Helvetica,sans-serif;}

Override this using

body#jira {
  font-size: 15px; // or similar
}

Update:

If you want a quick dirty hack to do this, add the following into the Announcement Banner section (in JIRA Administration):

<style>
body#jira {
  font-size: 15px; // or similar
}
</style>

vincent beudez January 5, 2012

Thanks. Now, the main problem is... i don't find the file :D

I have the 4.3.3 jira version and don't find any global-static.css file, or a file containing this css code. It should be in the UI folder but... Even in Styles folder, it's not there.

David at David Simpson Apps
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 5, 2012

@vincent: Check the update above :)

1 vote
Sean Curtis
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 31, 2012

Hi Vincent,

Are you changing it for everyone using your instance or is it just a personal preference you'd like for when you access JIRA?

If it's the later I'd recommend looking at http://userstyles.org and putting in an explicit CSS rule just to target the View Issue page.

In JIRA 5 we have done a lot of work making the markup consistent. There's some very handy classes added to the body for many of the prominent pages within JIRA: .page-type-issuenav, .page-type-viewissue, .page-type-admin, etc

You could just add:

.page-type-viewissue {
  font-size: 15px;
  line-height: 1.4;
}

and that'd bump up the font size just when on the View Issue page.

If you're doing it across your entire instance, add that style to the Announcement Banner using the method David described.

Jong Castillo February 8, 2020

Thank you for this resource! Love it!

Suggest an answer