FixVersion Not Empty When It Is?

Alex Marino September 28, 2015

I have an issue where the fixVersion is empty.  I've made sure it's empty myself.  I've bulk edited the issue to clear the fixVersion field.  But still when I search for it, my issue search query can't find it when I include "fixVersion is empty" in it.  Why would JIRA think an issue has a non-null fixVersion value when I've set it to be empty in multiple ways?

2 answers

0 votes
Jason Moungey February 19, 2016

Alex, you were on the right track. Our team just lost 4 hours researching and fixing this problem. Unfortunately, we came here first and there wasn't much helpful information. I'd like to make that not be the case for the next person to stop by...

If you delete a fixVersion that has issues in it, there's some ties in the database that do not get deleted (in JIRA 6.4 and some other versions). Those ties trick JIRA into thinking the fixVersion isn't empty.

See https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-45149 and https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-22351 for the solution. We tested it and we didn't even have to shut JIRA down. Run the queries, do the reindex, and you should be up and running again.

0 votes
Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 28, 2015

If you have search results that are clearly not correct, you probably need to re-index JIRA.  This is available in the administrator interface.

Deniz Oğuz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 28, 2015

Additionally you should check why auto indexing is not working correctly. A miss behaving plugin may causing indexing to stop without completing.

Suggest an answer