Fisheye/Crucible authentication: more efficient to use Jira (LDAP) or direct to LDAP?

jcurleyWR
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 17, 2014

There are two parts to this question.

1. Is Fisheye pulling the LDAP data from Jira, affecting Jira performance?
  2. Is it more efficient for Fisheye to pull LDAP data directory from LDAP rather than Jira?

My apologies, I don't know whether Fisheye or Crucible manages the authentication.

We currently have Jira pulling the LDAP users and groups directly from LDAP hourly, and then Crucible pulls from Jira, also hourly.

Our Jira server is getting hammered and I am wondering if changing Fisheye authentication directly to LDAP would help a little. I tested this and our version of Fisheye 3.0.1 doesn't pull the LDAP group information, just the users. (which is a little annoying). But I digress.

Thank you,

John

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
FelipeA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 17, 2014

Hi John,

JIRA performance is not greatly affected while being used as an authentication directory, but I recommend you to set Fisheye to authenticate against LDAP directly, that way eliminating one hop. It's recommended to use JIRA authentication only in cases where you don't already have one LDAP server.

Best Regards,

Felipe Alencastro

Suggest an answer