Fisheye/Crucible authentication: more efficient to use Jira (LDAP) or direct to LDAP?

There are two parts to this question.

1. Is Fisheye pulling the LDAP data from Jira, affecting Jira performance?
  2. Is it more efficient for Fisheye to pull LDAP data directory from LDAP rather than Jira?

My apologies, I don't know whether Fisheye or Crucible manages the authentication.

We currently have Jira pulling the LDAP users and groups directly from LDAP hourly, and then Crucible pulls from Jira, also hourly.

Our Jira server is getting hammered and I am wondering if changing Fisheye authentication directly to LDAP would help a little. I tested this and our version of Fisheye 3.0.1 doesn't pull the LDAP group information, just the users. (which is a little annoying). But I digress.

Thank you,

John

1 answer

1 accepted

Hi John,

JIRA performance is not greatly affected while being used as an authentication directory, but I recommend you to set Fisheye to authenticate against LDAP directly, that way eliminating one hop. It's recommended to use JIRA authentication only in cases where you don't already have one LDAP server.

Best Regards,

Felipe Alencastro

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,861 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot