Find issues with no estimates (including calculated Remaining/Original Estimate values)

Steve Beauchamp January 24, 2019

Hi,

I'm trying to find a way to find issues that have an EMPTY remaining estimate, as a JQL query. 

If I use remainingEstimate is EMPTY, I will find all issues that do not have anything in the remaining estimate field, but it will also return any issues that have linked tasks that are estimated (e.g. Epics that contain estimated stories, or Stories that contain estimated Sub-Tasks).

I am looking for a way to handle this with ScriptRunner issue functions, but have hit a wall. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

**EDIT**

I think I've discovered the source of the problem - all of the issues I am looking at are in Structure. If I add a new issue outside of Structure, or I unpin an issue from Structure, it will show up correctly in my filter. I am on Structure v4.5.1 - perhaps an update addresses this issue. If anyone from ALM Works is reading and can chime in, I would appreciate it! 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 24, 2019

Hello Steve,

I think the following query should properly work for you:

remainingEstimate is EMPTY and issueFunction in issuesInEpics("remainingEstimate is EMPTY") and issueFunction in parentsOf("remainingEstimate is EMPTY")

For more information, you can check Scriptrunner JQL Functions documentation:

JQL Functions

Let me know if it works for you.

Steve Beauchamp January 24, 2019

@Petter Gonçalves this is perfect, thanks! :)

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 25, 2019

You are welcome, Steve!

Have a nice weekend.

Steve Beauchamp January 25, 2019

Upon further investigation, this is actually not solving the problem. I am still seeing issues that have a Σ Remaining Estimate (as seen in the image below):

Issue Navigator.jpg

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
January 25, 2019

Hello Steve,

That's really strange. That query has properly worked for me.

Can you please confirm to us what is your JIRA Server version?

Also, have added any other parameters to the query I provided you or you just copied and pasted that in your issue navigator?

We will be waiting for your answer to further investigate it.

@Petter Gonçalves

I agree that this is really odd - I don't really understand why it wouldn't work.

I am on JIRA v7.6.4 (server) and am using ScriptRunner v5.4.47. 

The full query I am using is:

project = XXXX AND resolution = Unresolved AND remainingEstimate is EMPTY AND issueFunction in issuesInEpics("remainingEstimate is EMPTY") AND issueFunction in parentsOf("remainingEstimate is EMPTY")

I have also tried:

project = XXXX AND resolution = Unresolved AND resolution = Unresolved AND (remainingEstimate is EMPTY OR issueFunction in issuesInEpics("remainingEstimate is EMPTY") OR issueFunction in parentsOf("remainingEstimate is EMPTY")) 

And:

project = XXXX AND resolution = Unresolved AND remainingEstimate is EMPTY AND (issueFunction in issuesInEpics("remainingEstimate is EMPTY") OR issueFunction in parentsOf("remainingEstimate is EMPTY")) 

None of these are giving me the result I'm looking for.

**EDIT**

I think I've discovered the source of the problem - all of the issues I am looking at are in Structure. If I add a new issue outside of Structure, or I unpin an issue from Structure, it will show up correctly in my filter. I am on Structure v4.5.1 - perhaps an update addresses this issue. If anyone from ALM Works is reading and can chime in, I would appreciate it! 

Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2019

@Dave Rosenlund maybe you can point someone here

Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2019

Hi, Steve. Thanks, Bastian (and Petterson)....

From what I see here, it looks like the question we should investigate is what link types are involved  — whether they are created through Structure, or some other method — and how your script is handling them.

Given all of the moving pieces, I think the best way to get to the bottom of this, Steve, would be for you to open a support ticket with us [ALM Works] so we can marshal the right resources, and find the right/best answer. We’d be happy to involve the ScriptRunner guys at Adaptivist as/if necessary.  We work with them frequently. 

Then, we can post an update to this thread so everyone can benefit. 

Does that work for you?

-dave [ALM Works]

Hi @Dave Rosenlund,

That sounds great!

I actually created a support ticket with ALM Works as soon as I figured out that Structure was the missing piece of the puzzle.

Ticket: ALM-8579

Looking forward to getting to the bottom of this! :)

Thanks for the support. 

Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 25, 2019

Of course! I‘m sure we’ll get to the bottom this. 

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
January 28, 2019

Thank you a lot for your help, @Dave Rosenlund!

I will be looking forward to your investigation results to know what could be possibly causing this strange behavior. 

Have a nice week you all! :)

Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 28, 2019

Stay-tuned, @Petter Gonçalves.  Our support team is in touch with @Steve Beauchamp..

Steve Beauchamp February 8, 2019

**UPDATE**

After much research and a lot of fiddling with various plugins, I have found a solution to the problem. 

The query that I am using now (that actually works!) is as follows:

(remainingEstimate is EMPTY OR issueFunction in parentsOf("issuetype = sub-task AND remainingEstimate is EMPTY"))

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer