Find Smart Value for User who's action Triggered the rule (or last updated by DisplayName)

Jeffrey Bistrong
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 2, 2020

I have a few rules that work similar to the image described below.

The process is, we have end users who set the priority to "blocker".

In a different rule, once the priority is set to blocker, my rule automatically updates a field called "blocker approved" to the value "No"

We have a team of people who are allowed to "approve" a blocker. They will set "blocker approved" to "Yes". > When this happens, is what triggers the below automation rule.

However, I'd like to insert a smart value for the user who triggered the value change to Blocker Approved = "Yes". I am learning more about smart values, I went here and used the trick mentioned (https://docs.automationforjira.com/issues/find-the-correct-smart-value-for-fields-in-jira.html#the-trick-with-custom-fields) to try and see if I can find it myself, but I didn't see anything.

I would be ok if I could figure out how to insert a smart tag for the display name of the user who last updated the ticket.

automation rule.png

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Cristian Ionescu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2020

Hi Jeff, 

Can you please try with: 

{{initiator.displayName}}
Markos Stefanou February 10, 2020

Unfortunately this returns "TempoTimesheets"

Radames Cuellar
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 14, 2021

Me funcionó muy bien, gracias

1 vote
Oliver
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 15, 2023

I wanted to note, that if you have come here and you are trying to edit a basic Jira User picker filed, than the smart value {{initiator.displayName}} might not work.

Instead try omitting the displayName part like this

{{initiator}}

that worked for me

Kleber Pauta July 18, 2023

Thanks, this worked for me!

Like Colin_McDermott likes this

Suggest an answer