Filters: watchers where current user is not an assignee - returning incorrect results

I am attempting to create a filter that will show all tickets I am watching, but am not assigned to. I know that I am watching six tickets on my company's JIRA system, and I know I am assigned to only one of those tickets.

This Query works as expected:
watcher = currentUser() ORDER BY updatedDate DESC 
=> Results in six tickets

This Query Works as expected:
watcher = currentUser() AND assignee = currentUser() ORDER BY updatedDate DESC
=> Finds one ticket that I am watching and assigned to

This Query does not work:
watcher = currentUser() AND assignee != currentUser() ORDER BY updatedDate DESC
=> Finds ONE ticket, there are four missing tickets

I noticed there is one difference between the four tickets that were not found and the one ticket that was found. The ticket that was returned has a user assigned to it, all the other users are unassigned.

I have attempted these variations:
watcher = currentUser() AND assignee not in (currentUser()) ORDER BY updatedDate DESC
issue in watchedIssues() AND assignee not in (currentUser()) ORDER BY updatedDate DESC
issue in watchedIssues() AND assignee != currentUser() ORDER BY updatedDate DESC
issue in watchedIssues() AND NOT assignee = currentUser() ORDER BY updatedDate DESC

All of these variations give me the same results.

My company is currently using JIRA v6.3.1.

UPDATE:

I have tried this search too:

watcher = currentUser() AND assignee is EMPTY ORDER BY updatedDate DESC
=> Results in the four unassigned tickets
watcher = currentUser() AND assignee is EMPTY AND NOT assignee = currentUser() ORDER BY updatedDate DESC
=> No tickets

I think I am getting closer but it seams like I am still missing something.

2 answers

1 accepted

This seams to work, the comparator was the important piece that I was missing.

watcher = currentUser() AND (assignee is EMPTY OR assignee != currentUser()) ORDER BY updatedDate DESC

It seems like a bug that "assignee != currentUser()" does not cover assignee is EMPTY... logically if assignee is EMPTY, it's also != currentUser().

Agreed Dave H.  "assignee is EMPTY" shouldn't be necessary but at least the filter works correctly now.  Thanks ckdesigns!

if you think of EMPTY as NULL, it would make sense that NULL does not return as "not equal to" a value since there is nothign to compare. It's not uncommon in languages. 

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for! 

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,006 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot