Filtering on subtasks

Sally Sattary January 10, 2022

I feel like what I want to do is really simple, but I can't crack it, does anyone have experience? 

When we're at the end of a sprint and starting to think about what we want to demo in the review, we want to know which stories only have sub-tasks left in review and/or done (e.g. they will completed by the end of the sprint). I've tried to write it out below, but not sure how I'd get it to work.

project = ADAPT AND (Type = story OR Type = bug) AND all subtasks(status = Review or status = done)) AND sprint in openSprints() ORDER BY status, updatedDate DESC

Essentially what we want is a list of stories we will need to demo

Thanks in advance

1 answer

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2022

Hi @Sally Sattary , welcome to the community.

Let me see if I can assist here and understand your goal bit better. Your last sentence seems to capture your fundamental goal. You wish to be able to understand what issues are complete or likely to be complete at the time the sprained ends. This is defined by issues in either the Done column or the In Review column. Is this correct?

Assuming the above is indeed correct could you not simply query for those two statuses? Now I realize you're talking about sub tasks here which is fine and you can find those issues through a query however, I would also contend that you should be focused on stories only not subtasks. In the agile world, especially in Jira,  for a story to be complete, and therefore demonstrable, all sub-tasks should also be completed. Otherwise the story is considered incomplete and likely should not be demonstrated. Now this last bit is certainly debatable as one could argue that you could demonstrate how far you've come on the story.

with that said please consider the following JQL...

project = ADAPT AND sprint in openSprints() AND status in (done, "in review")

Hi Jack, thanks for coming back to me so quickly.

Yes you're understanding is correct. So the way we're working is each story has a list of sub-tasks. For the story to be complete all the sub-tasks need to be complete. What I'm trying to do is see what stories are nearly complete. E.g. are all the subtasks in review/done? I don't want to filter on an individual story, but the sprint. 

It may be it's not possible, but essentially what I want to do is create a query that shows:

in the active sprint

if story = done (the easy bit)

if all story's subtasks = review or done (the bit I'm stuck on)

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2022

Got it! So, without an addon like Scriptrunner you can't JQL this. However, one consideration would be to ensure the parent Story status 'follows' it's children. By doing this you should be able to JQL only on the Story. Here is an article that explains how to use Automation to achieve the transition of the parent based on children.

do you think this would work?

Hi Jack, thanks for the info. Do you have a link to the article? I'll give it a go :)

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2022

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events