Filtering by status category

Ovidiu Vasilescu June 8, 2015

What I'd like is to create a dashboard that offers me this:

Rows: Team (this is a custom field)

Columns: Status Category (meaning "New", "In progress" and "Completed").

The reason is because we have about 50 Statuses on the project depending on the workflow used. I'd like to be able to simply show each team what they have New, what's In Progress and what's Done by grouping all the different statuses into the status category that JIRA already uses.

Is there any way to do this or a plugin that allows this?

Thanks!

Ovidiu.

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 8, 2015

I've done it with the Script runner addon - you can use that to create a "scripted field" on every issue that works out the current status category.  Once you've got the field, you can filter on it, and hence create a "2d filter table" on your dashboard.

Ovidiu Vasilescu June 8, 2015

So the idea is to edit each workflow on each transition to edit this field and then filter by it?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 8, 2015

No, sorry. That is actually another option - you could create a standard custom field and update it in all your workflows, but that feels a bit clunky and requires your admins to be careful when editing workflows (and rules out the use of simplified workflows completely) The trick with the script-runner is that the field is *derived* - you need a bit of code that reads the status, works out the category and returns it as the output. Scripted fields are read-only because they're calculated. No-one would need to do anything extra, you'd just get an extra field to use in filters and gadgets. (Oh, once you have it working, you'd need to reindex the system to get it populated, but that's a one-off task)

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2015

Or maybe even write a Script Runner JQL function, though that's a bit more work than a scripted field

Nic Stransky June 5, 2017

Nic, can you show me the groovy code you used to derrive the status category? I've just searched Google for 30min and I couldn't find any reference to how to get the category.

This works to get the status, but how do I get the category?

Issue issue = issue

status = issue.getStatus()
status_name = status.getName()

return status_name

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 6, 2017
Ilya October 10, 2018

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- Do filtering and sorting really work for scripted fields? As far as I observed they are not.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 10, 2018

Yes, it works fine.

Ilya October 10, 2018

I would like to take an opportunity to thank you a lot for all your answers here. You are doing a really tremendous work. I am getting most of information I need from your posts, they help me to build very versatile workflows with ScriptRunner.

Like # people like this
9 votes
Craig Cockburn June 14, 2017

statusCategory = indeterminate  (in progress)

statusCategory = done  (done)

+ new

+ undefined

Ren April 4, 2019

Looks like the categories are now "To Do", "In Progress" or "Done" but it was this comment that got me where I needed to go, so it gets a vote. :)

0 votes
Arthur Lee November 24, 2023

You could also try using an app called Rich Filters for Jira Dashboards. We ended up getting this app to group by StatusCategory. Please see my post below in another thread.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Re-How-do-I-groups-different-workflow-statuses-example/qaq-p/2543047/comment-id/599030#M599030

0 votes
Gorka Puente _Appfire_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 26, 2020

Hi @Ovidiu Vasilescu

Another option to display each of your teams what are they doing, is by creating a dashboard with a gadget for each of those teams, displaying their "New, In Progress and Done" issues, using Ronin Dashboards for Jira (disclaimer, I'm the vendor behind this app).

Screenshot 2020-12-26 at 18.17.49.png

Using the JQL gadget with a query similar to this for each team

project = "TIS" and statusCategory in (indeterminate, new, done) and Team = "Koala" ORDER BY created DESC

You should add your own statuses in the JQL query and the name of each team in your custom team field.

You can have a look to this dashboard (these gadgets in the second slide) using this public link.

Hope this helps.

0 votes
Gautham Hari December 19, 2020

Try the Atlassian Marketplace app 'Quick Filters for Jira Dashboards' on Jira Cloud.

Its advanced dashboard gadgets allow filtering by the 'Status Category' field. 

I use the 'Quick Pie Chart' and the 'Quick Two Dimensional Filter Statistics' gadgets to display the issues based on the Status Category.

Suggest an answer