Filtering by status category

What I'd like is to create a dashboard that offers me this:

Rows: Team (this is a custom field)

Columns: Status Category (meaning "New", "In progress" and "Completed").

The reason is because we have about 50 Statuses on the project depending on the workflow used. I'd like to be able to simply show each team what they have New, what's In Progress and what's Done by grouping all the different statuses into the status category that JIRA already uses.

Is there any way to do this or a plugin that allows this?

Thanks!

Ovidiu.

2 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

I've done it with the Script runner addon - you can use that to create a "scripted field" on every issue that works out the current status category.  Once you've got the field, you can filter on it, and hence create a "2d filter table" on your dashboard.

So the idea is to edit each workflow on each transition to edit this field and then filter by it?

No, sorry. That is actually another option - you could create a standard custom field and update it in all your workflows, but that feels a bit clunky and requires your admins to be careful when editing workflows (and rules out the use of simplified workflows completely) The trick with the script-runner is that the field is *derived* - you need a bit of code that reads the status, works out the category and returns it as the output. Scripted fields are read-only because they're calculated. No-one would need to do anything extra, you'd just get an extra field to use in filters and gadgets. (Oh, once you have it working, you'd need to reindex the system to get it populated, but that's a one-off task)

Or maybe even write a Script Runner JQL function, though that's a bit more work than a scripted field

Nic, can you show me the groovy code you used to derrive the status category? I've just searched Google for 30min and I couldn't find any reference to how to get the category.

This works to get the status, but how do I get the category?

Issue issue = issue

status = issue.getStatus()
status_name = status.getName()

return status_name

This widget could not be displayed.

statusCategory = indeterminate  (in progress)

statusCategory = done  (done)

+ new

+ undefined

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

125 views 2 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you